Pond fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kansasoutdoors, Feb 3, 2009.

1. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm not the most successful when it comes to catching catfish. My buddy just bought 80 acres that has a decent size pond on it. It was previously owned by a fellow fisherman that frequently brought home some pretty good size catfish to release in his pond. The pond, because of its size, is probably not going to support the flatheads in a manor that is conducive to their reaching full size potential. Also, the other species of fish don't have a chance with them in there from what I understand about marine ecology.

My question is this; when (what month or water temperature) can one expect to start catching flatheads and channels in a small KS pond?

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Channel you can catch all year long and same with the flats, but I have had the best luck for flats when the water hits 50 that seems to be the number they turn on at, or wake up more.

3. kansasoutdoors

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the response! I sure thought this question would fetch more responses than one though.....I guess most of you guys probably fish the big lakes and the river, so you're not so much worried about pond fishing. Ponds are a great option for a broke guy with a busted boat engine and a couple of kids wanting to get out. I just didn't want to get them out too early and lose their interest.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    The water should warm up faster so I would be fishin there a little earlier than I would a large body of water.
    Ponds get alot of chemical runoff and most cant clean themselves, so you might just be fishin for a ghost.
    Always worth a shot though.

5. kansasoutdoors

State:
    Kansas
    I don't think there is much to worry about in the way of run off as everything upstream is cow pasture/grassland (surely nitrates aren't as hard on the fish as cropland chemicals, right?). I know there is a VW bus in the bottom of the pond (it's even rumored to be tie-die colors). I'm sure radiator fluid isn't good for em':crazy:

I think I'll try to set some lines after the thaw to see what, if anything, is still alive in there.

Thanks

6. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    If there was fish put in there, there was probably some bait put in there as well. If the pond is of any size there should be no reason that the fish shouldn't still be there. How big of a pond are we talking about here? Is the inflow off of a running creek or one that just flows when it rains? What is further upstream? Is there another Pond that might be stocked with fish? If so, there may be more fish than realize.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    You can always ask your buddy if you can throw some blugill in their. If they live long enough they will spawn and make more food for the predator fish. If their arent any predators in there though, their numbers can get out of control pretty quick. Bluegill fishing will give your kids some fast action fishing and if they have a hand in stocking the pond it might be easier to get them out there later to see how their fishing experiment is coming.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I grew up fishing ponds, as probably most people did. The best bait for me was grasshoppers. I would carry a jar with me and collect them while I walked to the pond. Also if there are crawdads in the pond, they make good bait also. As long as it was stocked at one time and hasn't dried up since, there should be fish in it. Most ponds have been stocked at one time or another. If the ice is off, you should be able to get something to bite. Try fishing the deepest part of the pond until it warms up a bit.

9. kansasoutdoors

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks a bunch guys!! Do catfish prefer live crawdads or do you cut them first? Do catfish eat grasshoppers also? I've heard of catching bass and crappie with grasshoppers, but never cats.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Grasshoppers are an excellent bait for channels, come July and August.
    Crawdads are good bait for flatheads and channels. You can use them whole/live but the tail meat is the most important part.
    Id prefer to use small 3-4" perch though.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Use the crawdads live, but I break the claws off. Seems cats can't resist a defenseless crawdad. The cats will eat grasshoppers in a pond.