Pond fishing Today

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, May 25, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went pond fishing today with Uncle Beezoid. I Caught 60 nice 10-12" black crappie while uncle beezoid was throwing a 8" plastic worm to catch 10" bass.Used to be some really big bass in that pond.We had caught and released 25 bass over 5 pounds out of there. But not anymore. We switched ponds and caught even smaller bass and bigger crappie. I caught 10 over 12" but released all of them so we would still be invited back.Switched to a different catfish pond and threw some pellets and bobbers with livers. Fish were coming up but I couldn't get anyone to hit.Switched to worms and started to catch small bluegills they were eating the pellets. Uncle beezoid caught a 6 pound bass. We switched ponds again to the normal catfish pond it's only about 2 acres. Walked out on the dock and threw some pellets. Within 15 seconds there were 10 five to ten pound channel cats surfacing and gobbleing up the pellets we just threw out. I dropped the bobber right over the side of the dock and let it slowly sink down slowly.Before I could put out the second one I had a 9 pound channel cat in the net flopping around on the dock. I caught 9 more between 5-10 pounds in 40 minutes. Kept a couple that swallowed the hook. pretty good day nice cool weather and only a few light sprinkles.

Attached Files:

2. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Six pound bass and a couple of really long skinny channel cats

Attached Files:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sounds like a great day of pond fishing.Those are beautiful crappie.:big_smile:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Well done Eric.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What time is dinner ? :smile2:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Nice job Eric. I miss catchen big ol pond crappies.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nothing beats a good pond...Nice job! Them are some nice crappies..

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    They appear to be black crappies to me and they kind of have an odd shape more rounded than elongated. Great big fat ones...none bigger than 12 inches but they had some pretty good girth on them.Kind of strange ponds of the 10 ponds between 1-10 acres only one has bluegill in it.All but 2 have crappies some have golden shiners. I can catch 'em on a small hook with a bobber and worms but wasn't sure I could keep 'em alive.Didn't make it over to those 2 ponds with the shiners in 'em.

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    The bluegill and the crappie are distantly related but not close enough to
    make a viable cross. I have heard of green sunfish crossing with bluegill
    but the hybrid is usually sterile.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a good day fishing! Looks like a great little pond

11. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    nice fish!! pondfishing is how i cut my teeth 2, some good memories on the old pond,trick sticks and tiki sticks is what im killing em on right now. water melon redflake!!!happy fishing

12. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    nice fish!! man looks like some good fun :big_smile: