Pond fishing for catfish with debris filled bottom?

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by miles, May 15, 2018.

1. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    I live in central NJ and i am having trouble finding a good catfishing fishing place. there is a small lake near my house, but the bottom has a lot of debris like skinny twigs or that kelp looking stuff that gets caught in the hook right away. Is there a good way to catfish at a lake where the bottom is not clean? Do you use a bobber? Its a small lake so i suspect there is only channel cats in it.
    I haven't had much luck lately at the other lake by my house, that i know has catfish. I caught a nice one this year which is what got me into catfishing, but i havent caught any since.
    I am new to catfishing and fishing in general, so excuse if these questions are dumb

2. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    You can use a regular bobber or slip Bobber depending on how deep you need. You got to make sure thier there.

Beastly Backlash likes this.

3. music4cash

music4cash Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    When I fish muddy or weedy bottom places I still fish the bottom, but I use less weight (as little as possible) so that the leads don't pull the bait into the mud or weeds, and I try not to move the bait after I cast so it sits on top of whatever it landed on. I've also had good luck in such situations using live bait, and no weight at all.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I use to fish a small spillway pond that was on th other side of a earth dam of the main lake that was nothing but rocks and was impossible to use anything on bottom. I believe it was probably 7 or 8 ft max at its deepest. I would use a Bobber and cut bluegill to catch channels 11lbs was biggest I've pulled out. It was maybe 100ft by 60ft

5. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Well-Known Member

State:
    KY
    A slip bobber is you’re best option in that situation, a Santee rig may work as well but I’d go with a slip bobber.

6. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Either a bobber rig, a 3 way with a LONG leader and a light weight, or just a hook and bait with no weight.

7. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Yeap, not every body of water has catfish.

But, slip sinkers would be my go too, set the bait to suspend a foot off the bottom.

Fishbones likes this.
  8. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Depending on the situation, going weightless can be very effective.

9. miles

miles Member

State:
    nj
    Name:
    miles
    it says online that they have catfish at this lake.