pond fishing - best way to catfish in a pond?

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by bassprofisher, Sep 14, 2008.

1. bassprofisher

bassprofisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    what would you say the best way to catch catfish in a pond would it be rod and reel or trotline

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Sheldon, I've done both with good luck. A lot of time both at once.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You might throw a few jugs as well different baits and presentations will allow you to figure out what and where the fish want it .

4. bassprofisher

bassprofisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    all right ill try a couple out

5. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I like rod and reel only because I like fightin' em. Even the smaller channels on some lighter tackle are a blast.

A trotline has its advantages though. It has more hooks with more bait in the water, which always helps. The only disadvantage I could think of is the fact that it isn't real easy to move a trotline to a different spot. If you want to cover many different areas, then a rod and reel makes that a heck of a lot simpler.

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like trotlines on ponds because I have found you really get to see the quality of catfish you have, I used to set out two trot lines and then fish rod and reel while I waited for about and hours and a hlaf before i took the paddle boat out and checked the lines. Alwasy a good time, havent done it for a few years know, might have to again.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Fishin a farm pond with ultra light tackel is a blst for channels.

8. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio

9. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    Yepper,,,it is a blast....was fishing with ultra lite and mepps spinner one time for bait and caught an 8 lb channel,,,,,the pond owner swore there was nothing but bullhead, perch, and bass in the pond,,,,boy was he suprised.......

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    def on r & r, i reeled in a 5 lbs channel, on a 4'6" ultra light, with 4 lbs test, and get this i was fishing for crappie, with a Beatl spin ( bright green) with a lil white mr twister on the back,retrieving SLOW,also reeled one in on a 1/4 once yellow ( with black dot's ) roster tail :eek:oooh::confused2::roll_eyes::smile2::cool2: got them in, i just hooked them and let them run a lil bit, shoot i wasnt in no hurry :wink:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I'd say pitch out some jugs and use a pole while waitn for the jugs :big_smile:

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would try and catch what ever forage is in the pond first, and use for bait. Second I would throw out a couple carolina rigs, third I would use a Kat Bobber and see whats cruiseing the mid depths.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think it would be hard to beat a trotline for sheer numbers of fish, if you can keep the turtles from robbing it. I prefer rod and reel though, because it is much more fun, and there isn't much of a challenge in a pond. I don't keep pond catfish because the ponds I fish don't have a ton of fish in em, but they are good sized, so there is no reason to catch a trotline worth if I'm not gonna eat em.