Pond Fishing / Bait Size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ESipes_89, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi,

I went to fish a pond on sunday on my first real stratogized catfishin' trip. I got there at around noon so that I could catch some gills for channels and flats. I have seen a 10+ pound channel and a few small flathead this summer while bass fishing so I know there in there. After catching only catch 8"+ gills and crappie I finally decided to just cut one one up instead of using it live. I started on a bed of stumps in about 8-12' of water using the head cut about 1 1/2" behind the mouth. I got several bites but no takers. About 45min. later I changed baits (1"x1"x4" part of the mid section with the guts) and moved about 50yds. down to another large bed of stumps, same result. After this I tried in a deeper part of the creek channel where it drops of from 3-4' to 12'+ fairly quick and I didn't even get a bite.

Q. Is the bait I'm using to big?
    Q. Is it okay to use a whole bluegill/crappie of 8" and larger?
    Q. Am I fishing in the wrong places for the keeper fish?
    Q. Is there anything else I'm missing? (I don't own a boat so I cant get everywhere)

Thanks,
    -Eric

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In my experience, the catfish in ponds and small lakes that I've caught have been mainly caught in 3 to 6ft of water right on the bank and right on top of a fallen tree. I use large floats and try to have the bait about 8" of the bottom. I also noticed that the longer the tree had been in the water the better. I have caught 5-27lb fish on both live bluegill and the heads. After you catch one or alot of times two fish move to another tree on the bank. I have fished a small lake for years and catch fish every time I've ever been there doing this but have never caught more than two fish around the same lay down. Hope that helps.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'm not so sure that bait size is the problem. Channels will take about any size that will fit in there mouth. Larger baits will just save you from catching smaller fish. In most pond enviroments with very little current the bottom vegatation grows very high off the pond floor. I would suggest putting a float on your leader between your hook and wieght then experiment with different leader lengths untill you find what works. Or try what shadguts said with large floats and set your depth just above the bottom vegatation. Hope this helps, let us know if it does.

4. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey thanks and good luck

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ther is a pond out here that is about 2 acres big and i have used everything from cut gills to chicken livers to stink bait and to tel lyou the truth i have had more luck using live goldfish. if they are legal where you are located i would highly recommend them. i fish them on a slip bobber set about 4 to 5 feet deep and near cover. check your regulations and if they are legal i would suggest giving them a shot.

6. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks,

I've never thought of that. I'll give it a try.

-Eric