Pond fishin?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by airforceben, Dec 20, 2006.

1. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    any advice??? its cold in northern california but lots of ponds at my airforce base with big cats.

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Try it, the only thing that could happen is you not catch any, I would ask around and find out if anybody has done any good. Start with the basic food source that the fish could get.

Good luck

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Advice for ponds. Try natural baits like crawlers, minnows and bream cut are whole. Try different depths until you find the fish. And different times of day will have varied results.

4. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd use a natural food source like these guys said, but don't be afraid to stay in one spot for a while...the cats are definitely a lot slower w/ the cold weather. I've had my best catfishing in ponds so good luck to you!

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I agree with the others, but depth is important. Once you find one there are usually more around. They tend to school up in colder water.

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I would advise that first you make sure that the ponds are on base property, and that fishing is allowed in them. If not on base try to contact the property owner for permission before attempting to fish. California land owners are notorious for prosecuting trespassers, but many will allow it if asked.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I do pretty good here in Southeastern Va, and I usually do alright with cut bream, minnows, shad, liver. Just move around until I find them. Fish the whole pond, don't be afraid to move around.

Wheelmobile07

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    like everybody else said try bait fishin in the ponds and see what you catch and that is what i would use as bait. alive,dead,on top, bottom.

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Been fishin military impoundments fot the past 20 yrs. Go buy some of that nugget stink bait, dont matter what kind and throw a whole bag in by where you plan on fishin the day before piece by piece of course. Dont let anyone see ya do it cause they will claim that spot later that day or early the next morning. Go the next day with the same type bait and the fish should be there. Good luck

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Fragramentation Gernades Works real Good. The only trick is sneaking them out of the Armory.Sorta gets them Men Upset If You Don't Invite them Along to Fish with You !! Good Luck. J.D.
    :beat_shot:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try nightclawers, or livers. The best baits for pond cats.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    but ya never kno where the fragments are gunna go, so you gotta make sure you get a nice sturdy tree to hide behind or you can do it like me and take my surplus folding shovle and dig a foxhole to make it athentic WW2 style:roll_eyes:

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR