Pond Fishin

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by elshale, Sep 21, 2005.

1. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Please give all good shore pond fishing advise. ;-) Learn from the best. Catch lot of fish...Thanks Guys.

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I've caught ALOT more catfish in ponds when I have chummed with soured grains before fishing, and especially if I've chummed the area 4 days in a row or more. Seems to put the fish in a feeding mode and they are ready to bite. I will use Cattracker dip baits and slay the catfish in ponds using these techniques. When it comes to catching numbers of catfish, nothing will outfish dip baits combined with chum, not even live/dead bait. Don't know why that is either. You'd sure think live, natural forage would outfish something that stinks, wouldn't you? Must be some of the ingredients in there that trigger a feeding mode in the fish towards the dip bait. God bless.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Worms and livers.

4. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

If you have a pond close enough to visit every day, then set out some limb lines or trot lines if you have a boat. Set out several, bait each one differently, one with fish heads, one with liver, one with weiners,soap,marshmellows, whatever. Set lines at different depths and locations to find the preference for your pond. Good luck dude!

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    my best advice is to learn it. get out and go fishing... keep a log or mental notes of what the weather was like and where and what the fish were doing... Don't change the baits your using... like go w/ 2 rods... one worms one liver and go around the lake looking for where the fish are wanting those. keep the rigs and the rods the same to keep from second guessing your knowledge...

6. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Cool. I have had luck with nightcrawlers and leftover bbq chicken. I have only been fishing bottom. though

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    While we haven't been able to hit the river, we've been fishing in several small private ponds. The channels there have been going crazy over frozen cut shad for bait.
    We've got from 3 lbs on up to 8 lbs in a pond the size of a big yard.

8. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    My pond is like 3 4 acres. I have only caught 5 catfish in it one 5 pound, 1 10 lbs and one 17lbs, then finally I caught a keeper 3/4 - 1 lbs channel. On a bobber. I sit how I am fishing that makes the difference. I caught 2 big cats by throwing out on the bottom at night securing the pole with a stringer line and realing them in in the morning. Orther ones on nightcrawlers during the day on the bottom. I don thave a boat but notice when I cast ou t the line stops sinking like 3 to 4 secs after hitting the water. Does that mean it is shallow. Thanks for all the help.

9. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    I like to find out how deep the water is with a bobber. When it doesn't float straight the sinker is touching the floor. I can cast a 5ft length on my 7ft pole. A slip bobber would work for deeper water. I am happy with atleast 4ft deep. But have caught cats in 3ft. I prefer straightlined with the pole angled low for an easier hook set. I am also a fan of chumming. I use balled up white bread because its cheap and clean. I have even caught cats on bread. Beware of carp though. Chicken liver works great for 1lbers by me.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    what kind of cats are you catching? when i fish a pond i use a cigar type float that isnt weighted so it will lay flat when sinkers is on the bottom. this allows you to pinpoint the exact depth. for flatties i rig my rod so the bait will be 4 to 6 inches off the bottom fished under a weighted float. when i am fishing for blues i will use several at different depths and hope i can find where they are hanging out. i once had a float out with a 6 inch goldfish on it and the float went about halfway under but not all the way. about 30 min. later i picked it up a set the hooked and it was a 52 lb. flattie that was laying on the bottom. he must have just sat there with the bait in his mouth.

11. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Thanks for advised that worked like a dream