Pond Fish

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by unclebobo, Sep 1, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went fishing at a pond in a local park today all i was catching was small bluegill one after another,as soon as my bait hit the water the bobber would go under. does this sound like this pond is overstocked I just couldnt believe how small all these fish were.

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I beleive this is common in city parks now you have a place to get flathead bait !

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yep over stocked with bluegill, with their growth stunted do to the size of the pond and the amount of fish in there. Need to drop some Large mouth Bass or a couple of Flatheads in there....It will be cleaned out in no time.....lol :wink:

4. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I've got a couple smaller ponds in my area like this.Since there is no natural predators aside from birds there's nothing to control the population.I've thought about bringing a bass or two there but there's plenty of ponds in my area,most with bass there anyway.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah that pond in city park is overpopulated with gills. and if you have a personal pond with this problem, I recomend flatheads to be put in there and crappie. And the reason I say crappie is cuz the crappie will annilate the bluegill fry a lot quicker in my eyes than a bass will.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Dusty from what I have seen these city parks have alot of small gills in them. However you might be surprise to try an use minnows or gills as bait an see what you may catch. We have a city park here with a small water usage an there are some nice cat fish in it.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a great bait hole to me. :big_smile:

8. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    Go catch u a good flathead and put him in there. Had a friend of mine with a pond like that. U could catch 50 bream in the 3 to 4 inch range in an hours time. I caught a flattie that run about 20 lbs and threw him off in there, and u wouldn't believe the difference! That was in the late summer, by early the next summer u could catch probably
    20 or 25 good size bream in an hours time. I been thinkin bout going out there and trying to catch him again. He's got to be a monster by now, that was almost 5 yrs ago, I'd sure love to tie in with him again now.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Very good possibility.. or it couldve just been the small nature of the pond and they were happy to see the bait you presented..:wink:

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you put crappie in there they will balance out the gills, but then you will have a bunch of stunted crappie too. stocking any other fish in there will likely get you in big trouble if you get caught. try cutting up some of those perch and see what the channel cats in there look like. we do that here and tear em up.