Pond channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by channelcathunter64, Aug 29, 2006.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i catch all my channels in my pond when im fishing for bluegill and they always break the line{only 4 pound} if it is big.So do u think i should start catfishing under a float with cat bait{which i have never caught one on cat bait}or bluegill bait with cat equipment, but the bluegill might nibble it off.So just tell me what u think

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

What are you using to catch your gills? I would use the same thing and other baits like cut bait are minnows just with heavier equipment are heavier line.

3. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would upgrade my rod and reel to something heavyier duty, not necissarily a huge rig but get a med action spinning or spincast combo that can hold 15 or 20 lb test. As for changing bait..why? You have fun catching gills and cats so just keep on fishing like you have been.

Walmart, Gander Mountain and Academy all carry good effective cheap combos for a 19 dollar price tag. Look for expedition combo's for spinning type and Shakespears Cat stick for a good spincast. Don't confuse the Cat Stick with the more pricy Ugly stik cat but if you can afford it go ahead and get it.

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    maybe loosen the drag and let them run for awhile. I've brought in 8 pounders on 4 lb test before and it was a blast.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might need, to upgrade ur reel and rod or losen the drag.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Even 10lbs. line if your reel will hold it could make a huge difference , should'nt effect your gill catching.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    They're right, drag will help a lot, but don't rely purly on it. I hooked a huge grass carp, about 3.5 feet long, on 4 pound test and the smallest Zebco reel they make. After 2 hours of trying to tire the beast, it got to the bank. As we went to net it, it popped the line. :crazy: It's possible to do, and a ton of fun, but after that run on mine, the drag was shot and the line twisted a LOT.

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Id even consider going to #8 line and using the same setup ...there right about letting up on the drag aswell..it will be as blast to catch a 6lb pond channel on an ultra light..Ive even though about getting a fly rod and slapping a micro light open face with 4 lb test to fight them longer

remeber the fun of fishing is the effect of the fish on the other end of the line ...dont shorten the experince by skipping the fish across the water getting it in lol

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Amen to that, I hate when people hook a medium sized, nice fighting fish and just focus on trying to "hoss it in." It just about ruins the fun of the fight. Now if it's a big fighter, fight it all you want.