Pond Catfishing Tips Needed

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by colesuncle, Jan 29, 2006.

1. colesuncle

colesuncle New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Me and my buddy pond fish and hardley catch cats although THEY ARE THERE:cursing: I need to know how rig-up for channel cats. I also need to know hook size/type and what baits would work. Should I try blood bait nuggets? Tell me what you guys know......THANKS

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    for smaller ponds chicken livers are the best bait iv found, usea medium sized treble hook and bunch it on there
    .5-1.5 oz. of weight a foot above the bait is what i do

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would use a 4ough circle bluegill gut pocket no weight let it slowly sink to the bottom give it 5-10 min then repeat and change your bait often

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My dads ponds are all stocked full of channel cats we caught at other lakes and brought home and let them go in our ponds. My favorite bait to use is grasshoppers useing a small split shot with small bobber i like to use a extrem ultra light set up light line and a rod and reel you would use to catch bait with. When you are fishing there you know you are going to catch alot of cats so why not make it a little more fun

5. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

Most Small Ponds That Are Heavely Fished Dont Always Cooperate With The Angler. These Fish Have Seen Just About Everything You Could Imagin, So What I Would Do Is Use A Smaller More Stealthy Aproach. Use Florocarbon Instead Of Mono And I Would Also Use Bait Caught In The Same Pond This Should Give Better Hook-up Rate

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it is not windy, you should be able to tell where the channel are schooled up. Look for single small little bubbles in a twenty square foot area or so. They will just pop up one at a time, very small. After that, you just need to find the depth they are at. Some of my favorite baits are chub heads, the middle gutty section of chubs, shrimp, catalpa worms, or hamburger and parmasian cheese(use a treble hook). They will move around after catching a few, but just look for the bubbles again.

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Believe it or not i have caught alot of channels on hotdogs.cut them about an inch long and use a treble hook fishing ontop.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Colesuncle, I've found pond cats love silver dollar size bluegills or crappie.
    Use which ever is the most abundant. Use one alive, hooked through the lower back or tail with just enough sinker to keep him from getting back in the weeds, and on another pole put out one that has all the scales scraped off and a couple of cuts down his side for extra scent. Toss them just past the weed-line, and keep the noise down. you'll catch the bigger ones in the pond. Good luck

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I would use a 7-9" slip float with 1/4 oz weight above a 60lb barrel swivel,on 20lb Floricarbon P-Line ,with a 14-18" leader tied to a #2-3 Gamakatzu octopus.

This setup will have the float come at rest with 1-1 1/2" inch of the float above water level.( may have to adjust weight )
    If the cats are there put yourself on a 1/2"x 1" long x1/2 "thick blugill or salmon strip's.

Once you find the fish just keep your eyes on the float.
    If not straight down, you will see it move at a angle,if this be the case the fish has moved 1 -2 ' already with the bait in its mouth. So as soon as you see it move set the hook. this ought to help you out.
    good luck fishing bro,

10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

All else fails, just get some Wicked Sticky, and some Looper rigs.

Ray

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If its just a pond i would use a 2/0 kahle hook and just a splitshot or two,just enough to get you on the bottom.But you could use like a one ounce egg sinker with a split shot as a stop for you sinker,and just attach it all to your main line with your hook.When fishing ponds theres really no need to get real fancy with your gear.less things you have tied to your line like swivels and leaders just gives you more a chance of something breaking off an failing.I say keep it simple.Plus if you have everything just attached on you main line you will be able to detect those lighter baits much better then you would with all that other stuff on there.Good luck Bro

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i dont know if you were asking about fishing rigs , but if you were heres a few i use hope they help.
    if you have trouble figureing out what i tryed to illustrate just pm me ill be glad to try and help ya.
    hook sizes varies with size of fish i guess.
    i understand that cats are not hook shy and a big hook is not hard for a small cat to take in its mouth so i tend to use a size suitable for the bait i am useing.
    also dont cover the point of the hook leave it clear so it can penetrate
    quickly.

Attached Files:

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i wasnt able to upload all 4 in one post so heres the 4th

Attached Files:

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is a very good tip for small ponds. i used to do the same thing when i fished the "private lakes". get as low to the water as you can so the water has a dark reflection from tree's, bushes, or tall grass. take your time and youll see the bubbles they emit. 50% of the time it will be turtles or air/gasses escaping from the bottom of the pond but they usually come up in big plate sized swells. flatheads will emit the same sized swells. channels will emit one to three bubbles at a time. next time you see a channel surface watch the water around the area, youll see bubbles coming up when they get back to the level they are hovering at.

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I remember fishing in a tail-water pit all day in the western Kansas sun. (many years ago they no longer have water in western Kansas). I reeled my bait in and it was puny. I dropped my pole and went to get some more bait. When I came back I had a fish on. We started fishing about 5' from shore and caught our limit in about 10 minutes. It was wild.

I use a 1/4 ounce roadrunner jighead with a willow leaf or colorado blade. I hang a worm off the hook and then use a bobber. Fishing near the dam it bounces off the rocks and the cats hammer it. I have caught many cats this way when nothing else worked. The jig also saves many snags and the blade adds flash.

16. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    depending on the time of year and how aggressive the fish are depends on my rig and bait... but my general go to is a 2/0 circle with 1/3 of a chicken liver or so on it or a #4 circle with night crawler on it... only problem w/ the night crawler is you tend to get bluegills too ... both those rigs are weightless, ummm it works best during the day because you can see the line (the one pond i go to has a no night fishing policy) and see if you get excessive amounts of slack from fish picking it up and moving toward you or parallel to shore... works too at night esp if the fish are really aggressive and are being competitive over the bait causeing them to do hit and runs (snatch the bait fast and take off for the other side of the pond like they just committed murder), just be sure your rod is secured in a good rod holder for that

17. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    pond fishing the best rigs for a pond is a slip bobber rig or a egg sinker spitshot then hook those work the best for me bait i use shrimp and salmon and pepper spray chickin hard to make but works good
    later

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have caught channels on roadrunners (redhead/chartruese tail) and fatfree shad ( a pardon the language, bass lure). I might suggest a roadrunner jighead baited with a worm/minnow, under a cork. Vary the depth from 2-5'. I have had great success with that combo. all else fails there is allways dynamite. lol jk:)

19. cashukid

cashukid New Member

State:
    *Required*
    :) :) :)
    Amen, to Looper Rigs.

Purchased some of these last year.
    My catch ratio, went up immediately.
    Dip bait, cheez flavor, has been the
    ticket for my Wife and I.

Love these Looper Rigs
    Good fishing.

20. cashukid

cashukid New Member

State:
    *Required*
    DRC, Want to thank you for the JPG Rigs.
    Had not thought about putting a barrel
    swivel in there, ahad always used a snap swivel.
    Thanks again.