Pond Catfish.....

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Sunday Money, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have a pond that is stocked with channel catfish. I feed the fish with floating fish food so that I can watch how much bigger they get from year to year. Today I went down to the pond to try to catch a few fish before dark and kept watching something on the bank next to where I was fishing from. There is overhanging grass and weeds along the bank and I thought it was a muskrat at first but then got a good look at it and it was a catfish eating the overhanging grass along the bank. I thought that was pretty weird but I actually watched the fish bite the grass blades and break them off and eat them. Curious if anyone had ever witnessed anything like this before?

By the way I did catch a few nice channels off of fresh blue gill fillets along the banks on the steep side where I was seeing the fish "graze".

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thats pretty cool! Never seen or heard of that before! Wonder why they are doing that? Is there enough "regular food" for them? Pretty cool non-the-less!

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That must be really cool to have a pond that you can fish from! Are you sure that the catfish was not eating any bugs that might have been on the over hanging grass?

4. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey fish are like anything else, needs a change sometime, maybe he has worms or catfish slime balls lol!:smile2:

5. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

I guess that they could be doing anything. I went back down there this evening when I got off of work and caught a small bream, cut some fillets off of him and threw 2 rods out. Caught about 5 cats, 2 biggest at 7 lbs and 8.5 lbs. Also caught 2 bass off the cut bait as well, both about 1.5 lbs. Pretty good evening for only about an hour fishing. Didnt see the fish eating the grass today like yesterday but I was still catching them right off the steep bank in about 3 feet of water. I can throw out into the deep water and fishing with a bobber about 1.5 feet deep it will sit there all evening. Throw it up closer to the bank and it wont sit there for too long.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Sunday Money, you thought about dumping 70 jugs in that pond and knocking their socks off? :smile2::eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

7. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was going to do that, but I lost all 70 of my jugs at the lake this weekend. I'm gonna have to make some more up before I can jug anywhere but since its a private pond I was thinking more along the lines of just going all out and trying to make it look like badin. Its about a 3 acre pond so Im going for more like at least 250.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I was going to do that, but I lost all 70 of my jugs at the lake this weekend...."

Ya I got 'em. Cut the hooks off and throwed the jugs in a dumpster. :confused2:

You will catch bigger fish on jugs, because juggers catch all the big fish. :smile2:

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's not uncommon for channel cats to eat both aquatic and terrestrial vegetation if they can get it. My channel cat in my fish tank does it. Also, make sure you're dropping a few of them channels in some hot grease so that pond doesn't get over populated, it can happen.

10. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think i have it figured out whats wrong with your catfish, they are afraid of deep water because maybe mr flat head was in the fish you stocked.

my son in law put two flatheads we caught at santee two years ago to clean the crappies out of the pond he has now we have 10 pound crappies lol

catfish will eat anything they are bottom feeders if not enough food in your pond they will start to tunnel out and find the stream below your pond

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...if not enough food in your pond they will start to tunnel out and find the stream below your pond..."

What is there is not a stream below the pond? Will they end up in China? :roll_eyes:

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I wish that I had that problem:smile2:!

13. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    There are no flatheads in the pond. I put about 40 channel catfish I caught in the pond the first year after we stocked bream in it. This past summer we stocked 50 fingerlings off the fish truck. I've read that a pond with adequate oxygen and food could easily support 50 fish per acre, and have read some can handle up to 100 with no problem. This pond is fed by 2 creeks and constantly has moving water going through it so oxygen isnt a problem. As i said earlier I feed the fish throughout the warm months so the bream population doesnt become stressed. Im pretty sure these are some of the most spoiled fish in the world so hunger isnt the issue I dont believe. There were 50 bass stocked in the pond last fall as well. I didnt put them there and didnt particulary want them in there in hopes of these catfish reproducing more successfully. Should I accidentally cut a bass up for bait every once in a while, or will they not bother the cat population?

14. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    现在wyliecat ,猜你也知道我们已经有中国的鱼类在这里已经
    :smile2:

15. lunatics

lunatics New Member

State:
    NC
    sunday $$$, you got some pixs of your pond so we all can see how it looks? thanks in advance.

16. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I'll get ya some pics of the pond and hopefully me holding a few nice cats as well. I'm leaving in the morning to go to Gatlinburg, TN to do some trout fishing with some buddies through the weekend. I'll work on getting ya those pics the first of next week. Yall boys taker easy and I appreciate all the replies.

Wylie since I know your itching to know the river has too many rocks in it for me to float down any jugs.