Pond Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIGBASS3638, Jan 5, 2006.

1. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

:confused: I use a lot of shad guts for river and stream channels and get good numbers, but when i fish for them at local sand pits ponds and small lakes i get little to no response. What type of different baits and rigs work for you??

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those sand/gravel pits are tough to fish. most pits dont have many cats in them anyway but there are a few i used to fish and crayfish seemed to be #1 in their diet.

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Like post already pond cats can be very tough to catch. It seems like you can catch one or two and then they shut off.

The crawdads are very good and also I have had really good luck with small live bluegils. The smallest one you can catch. Trim thier tail a little so they struggle to swim. I like putting them under a bobber about a foot. Seems like the trashing around brings the cats in like a dinner bell. Also dip baits seem to work alright also.

Hope this helps.

4. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Liver and cut or live bluegill seem to work well in my pond.

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had good luck with liver, worms and hotdogs in the small lakes I fish.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Try bacon, warmed to where the juices are flowing.

7. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Sun-cured garlic chicken livers have always worked well for me. When you sun-cure them they get tough and they tend to stay on the hook better. I also use what they call "miracle thread" it's stretchy and it adheres to itself. It keeps the bait on very well. Try shrimp also. Good Luck!!

8. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, take some shrip and soak it in some immitation vanillia and it should do you fine.

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    DK punch bait or Sonny's always has done the trick for me. As far as cut bait goes, that varies pond to pond. SOme chicken liver, locusts, mackeral, it all depends. Try different baits and keep trying until you find what works.

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    see i would have to go for liver or the small baitfish here... shad doesn't always work well with stocked fish...

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    In small ponds/lakes, where fish depend a lot on insects for their diet, I have had luck using live grasshoppers. Thread them on to a hood the size of their body and put some weight on. I like to fish them on the bottom so the bluegill leave them alone. They also really struggle for life down their. I caught my biggest pond bass on grasshoppers.

12. katboy

katboy New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use livers uncured, all i do is cut them in forths and i sprincle some salt and garlic powder on them. the salt and garlic powder will come off in the water but that works like chum. :D

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    try chicken livers mixed with garlic powder and put some coolaide powder in there too, and also scan the pond and look for any structure such as a beaver dam or a fallen tree in the water. Also try sucker chuubs and small bluegill

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it all depends on how your ponds are constructed to determine prime areas, but if its your basic square pond the best spots will be in the corners and around ANY type of cover wheater it be a bush, big rocks on the bottom, an old fence post, etc.

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Dip baits seem to work best in the ponds I fish. Bait's like liver, worms, and cut gills tend to attract to many turtles.

Ray

16. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    The flooded strip mines and farm ponds i fish you cant beat dip bait
    I prefer Hog Wild, bowkers, and Cat trackers they have several
    my second line will always have night crawlers on it

17. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have always had good luck with Lousiana pink worms.

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know how deep these pits are that you are fishing, but I know some of the ones around here are deep and you have to suspend baits to get the cats not on bottom in 60 ft of water.

As far as bait, any normal cat bait you use will work. just gotta find them. Everyone has their own favorite for each situation, but they all will work at times

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you fish very deep pits (15 ft plus) the water is going to stratify during the summer. in other words there will be no oxygen below 1/3 or 1/2 the depth of the lake, so NOTHING will be below that. forget fishing on the bottom! try a slip floater at various depths near the deepest area of the lake during the day and at night use a slip float near the banks at the same depth. it may take a while to figure out what depths they feed so take a bunch of poles and try different depths. i usually do best during the day because almost all the fish(cats) will be suspended over the deepest area. at night they spread out.

20. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    catch somthing that lives in the body of water that yer fishing cut it up into chunks somtime using wat lives in the pond gets good responses