Pond Catfish Boat

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by zappaf19, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. zappaf19

    zappaf19 New Member

    Messages:
    1,574
    State:
    Monticello,IN
    Tools needed. Welder, air ratchet, drill, wrenches, bolts, pipe threader, saw and 12 pack MGD BEER
    The toons are 13' long and I got them out of a farmers field for 50$. One toon had a hole so I took it to work and tigged it. To check for leaks I used a air compressor and pressured the toons and put soapy water on the patch and looked for bubbles. Like you would a tire. I then found scrap flat steel (free) and stick welded a transom together. Bolted that on to the frame. For a deck I was going to use treated plywood but the price is staggering! So what I used was semi trailer siding. 8X10. That was 10$ I bolted the deck to the frame. Got 2 battery boxs 20$. One in front for storage and one in back for the battery. Used a sawal for cutting holes in the deck for the boxs. Then after putting carpet on I used a razor knife to cut holes for boxs. Front box is held up by the handles on the box. Rear box has a steel brace to hold it up. (I dropped a battery in and it snapped the handles off and it hit the trailer floor. OOPS Thats when the brace went on. Wife got me indoor outdoor carpet from town. 12$ 1 can of glue from Ace 6$. Paint brush for glue 1.00$ Glued the carpet on.
    Seats are made out of pipe (scrap) bar stools and swivels (free) 2 7"X7" flat steel for base 4$. Welded pipes to plates. 4 bolts for each plate to hold to deck. I used a center punch to put a hole in the carpet before drilling. This kept the carpet from unraveling While I was drilling holes. Painted the hard wear for seats 4.59$ for black paint. Mounted to deck.
    This part was done in one day.
    Rails took 2 days.I was not going to put rails on but wife demand them. I do feel safer with them. (wife has never been on it LOL) Gal. pipe and fittings were 102$ 1/2". OUCH! I had a friend help me hand thread the pipe.(that sucked) As we started making the rails we ran into a problem. We realized that we could not thread all the pieces together. (I think the beer was kicking in.) Soooooo we ground down the ends of the pipes so they would slip into the fittings. When we got it all put together and bolted down we hosed down the deck and covered with cardbaord and I migged the ground pieces into the rails. Yes I do have burn holes iin the carpet. (that really made me mad) One trolling motor e bay 80$.
    I was really surpise how fast it goes with the trolling motor! It is very stable. We can walk around. As you can see it was a cheap boat to make. I also used PVC for rod holders hosed clamped them to the rail.
    Mistakes I made:
    Putting carpet on before I was completly done.
    Not thinking the rails thru before starting to put them on.
    I have put 2 more braces on the transom so it can hold a gas motor. (again wife thinks I am going to die)
    Wood for transom, I use treated scaps but have since changed to semi trailer flooring wood.
    Hope I did not bore you but thats the way it was put together!
    There is no #s on it so it only goes on private ponds. For public lakes I use my old Ranger bass boat.
    If you have any questions let me know
    Bill

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]