Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best bait for going to a pond and using a pole float and trolling slowly? I've been using live chubs or cut shad

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
If I haven't already welcomed you to the USCA, welcome. In the part of the world in which I live and fish (pond fish anyway) pond fishing usually means fishing for Channels. I have not found Channel Cats to be very finicky eaters and have had success with night crawlers, crawdads, dug worms, crickets, grasshoppers, all sorts of dip baits, artificial jigs and spinners and likely a few I have forgotten about. On a trip to one of my ponds I took a 7-year-old nephew who showed up with his mom unexpected, I had no bait but he could see the pond and he wanted to fish so out came the hot dogs, the boy done well that day.
I have never done well with live fish for bait while pond fishing, but you may have completely different experiences. Good Luck.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,343 Posts
Chubs and shad should give you a good start.
I would take a bit of worm on light float gear and whatever bait fish I caught from the pond, I would use as cut bait if the pond has eaters and live if there are bigger cats.

...W

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,657 Posts
Red hotdogs and cut bream have worked well in almost every pond I have fished. For some reason I don't do as well on the brown ones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As others have said, the native bait to that pond area going to be your number 1 bait. Then go back your ol standbys of nightcrawlers, chicken liver, hot dogs, HDs with garlic and HDs with red Kool Aid. My all time stand by pond stink bait was/is Bee Jay. Hand roll a ball size of a big grape with small treble hook n spring. Fish very light weight or none if using a bobber.
Try tight line and bobber and see what gets ya hits!!! Tight lines to ya!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts