pond bluegills

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by seahaggy, May 29, 2009.

1. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just wanted to let you guys know bluegills are starting to nest.To have a blast use a ultralight rod and reel setup spooled with 2lb line.Be sure to take the kids it's a trip there sure to remember. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its a blast. I've been using wax worms & picking them off the nests for a week or so now. They don't seem to like pieces of crawlers much but are killing the wax worms.:cool2:

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I use wax worms for them also I like catching bluegill :wink:

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like catching them so do my wife and kids we LOVE eating them ! One of our favorite recipes is to make scampi out of them . Cheaper and just as good as shrimp.

5. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    That's a heck of an idea, Lance!! I've never thought of that. Sounds really good.

6. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive been catchin gills out of my pond for flathead bait on the river.Wax worms and meal worms pitched in the nest area without using a sinker has been deadly.I caught a 11inch :crazy:redear out of there last week but threw him back in .

7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    id like to have that recipe!!!:wink:

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The recipe is simple enough and can be modified . Bluegill filetted and cut into shrimp size pcs. fillets cut in half basically . Put pcs. in flour with salt pepper,garlic and some creole seasoning to taste .(you may prefer different spices . ) Saute' in butter . I use brown rice that comes in a bag. I can't fix rice for some reason always sticky:roll_eyes: Plate up the rice bluegill pcs. on top . Wala' . You can add more to the rice or change the spices that's the basics . Good luck fishing and eating ! No wonder I have a hard time catching Flatheads I eat the bait ! Glad I can catch channels and blues ! Afraid to try shad scampi !:big_smile::wink:

9. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i never really fished for gills other than for bait or fun!! but im going to get me some crickets!!!

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Alot of cleaning involved and takes alot of them but cheaper than shrimp ! I got a family of 5 and it's all about savin alot here to spend some there !

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    IME, these are worth their weight in gold: http://www.fishusa.com/Magic-Products-Preserved-Select-Wax-Worms_p.html

I keep them in my tackle box and cannot tell the difference between fresh or preserved, for real. The wife and I are such opportunistic, spur-of-the-moment type fisherman it pays to have them on hand, and they store just fine in the tackle box. We caught a nice mess of crappie and white bass with preserved wax worms first week of April this year on one of our spur-of-the-moment trips.

A little R & D on my part: I bought a large (200, I think) container of live waxworms this winter, chilled them in ice water, dried them in the food dehydrator. I probably got most of them a little too dry but compensated by adding a little veg oil to them in the zip lock. I've been using them and they work great.

(I'd just as soon have the store bought preserved ones though)

12. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Wax worms are hard to beat for gill bait.Meal worms work real well also.

13. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Ooooh, good tip. I'm going to have to try those! I keep some gear in the truck and there's nothing worse than deciding to hit my spot on the way home or finding a new spot while wandering around on the weekend and having to go find a place to get worms. You say you're opportunistic anglers, does this mean you store them in the car? I'm curious how they hold up in a car in summer. I guess it shouldn't make too much difference, though....

14. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Good Friend Of mine Caught this this evening at his pond. Almost 10 inches long

[​IMG]

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Herbert, that is one nice gill, it'd be a blast to catch a mess of those on fly rod or ultra-light. I'm guessin that's probably hybrid? Your buddy should be smiling in that picture, i would!

Mike, I don't keep them in my car (i could, i would), I keep them in my tackle box. The ones I'm using now were bought last year and are still in good shape. Read the reviews on the wax worms: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...100008004_100000000_100008000_100-8-4#reviews , it tells it all. Magic and Uncle Josh (and i'm sure others) carry several different preserved baits, but I'm sold on the wax worm. Prior to stumbling upon these my 'go to' preserved tipping bait was small bits of pork rind which I still keep in my tackle box, but wax worms are more productive.
    http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=2624

Opportunistic means we'll fish for most anything that happens to be biting at the time. Spur-of-the-moment means we generally don't put a whole lot of thought or planning into it, we just go. That fact that we're about 1 1/2 mis. from the river, I keep a boat docked there, and we've been doing this for so long it's become habit, allows for the spontaneity on our part.