pond baits

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by catoon, Mar 29, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what are the best baits for ponds or small lakes ?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I would try some of that bait you got from Magic Bait Co. Also chicken livers or shrimp would be good.

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, you got bunch of that bait toon. That would do it:wink:

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catch some bluegill or bream and use cut bait from that.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use stank shrimp from the butcher shop.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    100% of the time I fish Ponds @ lakes.and catch 100's of channels each year. I have found that my go to baits for Channels : in order are.

Bluegill,........cut into 1/4-3/8" x 1 1/2"- with skin.
    Bluegill Guts.

Salmon,.......cut into 1/4-3/8" x 1 1/2"- filleted off skin leaving fatty tissue.cut lenght-wise. sometimes tipped with 1/2 nightcrawler..

Feshwater Prawns, cut into 3/4" peices after they are split.

Chicken,......cut into 1/4-3/8" x 1 1/2"- Plain breast or mixed with strawberry koolaid, soaked in anise oil, soaked in colonge/perfume. sometimes tipped with 1/2 nightcrawler.

Shrimp, ..cut into 3/4" peices. plain, soaked in cherry koolaid. sometimes tipped with 1/2 nightcrawler.

Caltalpa Worms.

Green worms.

If you cannot catch a fish with these, There is no cats in the pond:smile2::smile2:

Good Luck and tight lines to you Bro.

7. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    very good info flamekeeper

8. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Really I would use cutup gillz. And worms. Or use corn to catch carp and use it for bait

9. festus

festus New Member

Zing has the answer. Trust me. Especially on ponds that are fished heavily during the daytime for bass and bluegill.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chicken livers, cut bream heads, and skipjack.:wink:

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Live gills, float some live gills.

12. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    My idea would be to go with whatever bait is in the pond naturally. If there is a good bluegill population, then by all means utilize them as live bait or cut bait. Nighttime or overcast days when crowds are not present seem to be the best times to do your pond fishing for any species.:wink:

Ray

13. b.ries

b.ries New Member

State:
    Ohio.
    night crawlers and blue gill work best for me at the local pay lake and farm ponds.

14. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I seem to have the best luck with shrimp, Wild Cat Shad or punch bait

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Walk around the pond/lake.If you see small frogs {if Legal} use them.Grasshoppers or what ever is natural in that area should do the trick.

16. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Round these parts we have lots of small Stock pond that were built many years ago to maintain the cattle everyone kept.
    These seem to get little or no presure and are full of smallish gills and Bullheads.
    I like to catch a few little yellow bellies and tail hook them with a smallish treble.
    Fished below a float in the deeper end of the pond just off the bottom can be very productive on those larger old forgoten fish that Own the water so to speak.

Particularly good at night.
    They stay active for hours but do require some tending as they seem to want to hunt the more shallow water and laydowns.
    Crawlers are my second choice with just a split shot and
    a long shanked bait keeper type J hook.

Good luck and get after them.

ron

17. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    A pond that I fish a few times a year has a strong bluegill population so I use bluegill (Cutbait) and do pretty good.

18. rustystinkbaitrules

rustystinkbaitrules New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For catfish i would use chicken liver. for bluegill or bream i would use worms and for bass soft plastics

19. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    depends on what kind of fish are in the pond...i fish some old paylakes that have been shut down and they have some monster flats in them, so fishing a 8-10 blue gill is still appropriate....so just like big water, you need to figure out what your after then you can choose the bait... just remember CPR in a small pond is even more important than in a lake or river...if you keep all the breeders, you soon wont have any little fish, you can literaly fish a pond out quickly, so i suggest if you are going to eat the fish you catch keep the small 1-5 pounders and let the big ones go to breed and keep a good place to catch eaters good...

20. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I like to use gills at my favorite pond,during the day theirs always kids catching little gills that get thrown back dead by the kids,after dark the channels come out and hunt those dead gills down. so fish close to shore on the windblown side and the channels should be there. this holds true on about all the ponds around here.