Pomona Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by goingfishin, Mar 16, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Ok, as requested by a friend here it is. Lets talk Pomona!!! I read that last year Pomona was ranked #10 in the NATION for amount and size of flathead. I'm not much of a flathead fisherman but that makes me think should throw some live bait into the water during tournament hours or should I do what I know best. This is only my second season for tournaments but I fished 8 of them last year and only saw 2 flatheads at weigh-in and that was at a river tournament.

2. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i wouldn't waste my time unless it was a night tournament. i've been fishing tournaments since 2000 and i lost track of how many that is but i can tell you that the channel cat will win a tournament most of the time especially on march 29th. pomona is alot like clinton you have to catch a large number of little ones and you will pick up a couple of better fish as you go along. i just don't think the flathead bite will be turned on to much this time of year. i think most of the guys who are catching flatheads are setting lines and that is in late spring thoughout the summer months. i can't fish the tournament but if i was i would spend most of the day up in the dragon creek area and fish the shallow stumps and willow trees on the windy side of the lake. they had a good shad kill this year like clinton so load up on shad and tear them up.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    CJ , Ive fished Pomona a few times in the early season , and Ive done real well with 2-10 lb. channels at this spot Ive marked with a red X. Anchor up right on top of the creek channel and cast out to different spots to the north and the south. I was using chicken livers , and I could only use one rod. They were hitting real good in this spot. :wink: I dont know the name of this creek arm but it has been productive for me.

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9980/95190935fq4.th.jpg]

4. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    C.J. I agree with Troy. I don't think that the water temp will be warm enough to get the flathead started. Also flathead can be hit or mis. I will be going for the Channel bite. Thanks for starting this post. I think the only time that I will have to prefish is next Sat. and maybe on the following Mon. I will give a report after that.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I told my son that I would take him out fishing. Depending on the weather I think Saterday will be the day we go. When I was in high school we would go to the rock corry fishing for crappie and we would catch the hell out of channle on minnows. I cannot remember what month it was though.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I believe that arm of Pomona is wolf creek,and the little creek coming in from the North East is Mission creek.Keith is right there can be some real good fihing up there.Just south i believe where Keith has marked is a stump row that runs almost clear across that arm that can produce some real nice fish.
    Also the hump across from the Adams boat ramp will produce some nice cats off the south side of it.It goes from 30+ depth to around 15 on the top.It should have a marker bouy on it.But dont over look the Dragon arm if the wind is blowing in there they will be real shallow on the north banks.Even if the water temp is in the 40's.Another good area this time of yr is just south of the dragon boat ramp ( the one on the north side of the lake).The creek runs right along that rock bank and they will stack up along there.This area is good for bank fishing.Be carefull if heading back into the flats once you get a little past the ramp it get's real shallow with lots of stumps.And yes them stumps are good fishing.

7. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i drove over dragon and the water was pouring in it looked pretty good almost good enough to be sick tomorrow if the temp was a little warmer.

8. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i feel a sickness coming on maybe on thursday or friday.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    have the corps been dropping pomona also?how much is it down?

10. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  11. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know anything...just wanted to see if my picture came up.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    my buddy Matt has us planned to hit shawnee state and/or perry. i'll have my son Leeland with me for the first time this year:big_smile:

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im with Ryan, i dont know anything either !! :eek:oooh::embarassed:

14. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Troy, looks like Saterday is going to be crap weather again. Highs in the 40s and rain!

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Why is it always nice on the weekdays and crappy on the weekends? Things should be changing soon, I hope. Nice albino Ryan.

16. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't know. Sunday not going to be bad. But I will get stuck with Easter stuff. That leavs Monday (It is nice to have three day a week off hehehe!) I don't think it is a true albino. I have cought several that are light like that out of Milford when the water is mud color. It has dark eyes and all albinos have red eyes. I have also seen and white one like that, that had black spots on it. It was brought to the scales at milford in a tournament a few years back. It was truley a neat cat!

17. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle are you from Arkcity?

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Man Milford sure does grow some crazy cats.

19. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im from Wichita but fish in Ark city and Winfield alot.

20. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I know a guy (Eric Broce) that lives in Ark city. That is why I asked.