Polluted River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by janton311, Jun 15, 2006.

1. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have herd that the fish that come out af the arkansas river aren't safe to eat. Then I've talked to people that eat them all the time. I was wondering if anyone knows if polluted water can even affect how safe they are to eat. I just don't want grow an extra arm or start glowing:crazy:

also if it is unsafe around the downtown wichita area how far down stream can that travel.

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks that actually answered my question totally, one 8 oz. meal per month. great but I don't think I'll take that chance.

4. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey people: The Arkansas river in Wichita has been poluted for the last 60 yrs. that I know of, but a lot of people have ate fish from it for years.

5. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Unfortunately, going downstream isn't going to get any better. That's the direction the pollutants went.

Thank the chemical industry for all the pollution of the Ark. The Kaw has 2 fertilizer plants, an old Army Ammunition plant and the old smelters in the argentine area of KC to blame for it's pollution. Fortunately most of these polluters are closed and things are starting to get better for the Kaw.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i don't know an extra arm might not be so bad and well the glowing part i bet you would be the most popular person in your town..lol
    well the way i see it as long as you don't stuff yourself with fish i think you would be all right but on the other hand if the fish has 3 eyes or something like that then pack up your gear and try another spot.:big_smile:

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't think I'd eat anything from the Arkansas close to Wichita. But by the time it reaches Oklahoma it has cleaned up quite a bit. The Ninnescah and Walnut and dozens of smaller streams all dump into the Arkansas and help filter it out. Also, there is more water down there than up here. I've always eaten fish from Kaw Lake and Keystone and don't think there are any warnings about the river donw there.