polluted pond kills big catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishassassin, Sep 22, 2009.

1. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    the pond i typically post about, is at an apt complex. i am not a resident so i cant really complain to management but i have had nothing but success there all year. a couple weeks ago they drained their swimming pools into the ponds.... therefore polluting the hell outta the water. i work with a guy who lives at the complex, and have asked him to look for dead or sick fish... well he is pullin out dead fish... biggest bein a 40+ shovel. now im certain that knowingly polluting waters and killing wildlife is illegal. what can i do? what should i do and what would u do? im fairly pi55ed.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That sucks, but save your breath DNR doesnt give a crap..

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And I don't think they would call it "poluting" to empty chlorinated swimming pool water into a private pond/lake. Sounds to me as though you are just out of luck... same as the fish.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Being a private lake and not a State one, i'm not sure if it's against the law or not. A complex's like that, they usually only have a pond/lake for insurance discount reasons. It gives the fire dept a place to get water, in case of a fire.

Aside from that, they are there for landscaping reasons. The fact that they have fish, and are allowing fishing, is just an extra benefit.

Now, if it was stocked by the state, that is a completely different scenerio.

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Does the pond have drainage to a stream, etc.?

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Geez that is horrible. Take the dead fish and throw em in the pool :angry:

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Very true, but if that was a bass floating the dnr would be all over it.

8. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    If this was my holding pond for run off water, required in some areas, I would look at it as it is just that a holding pond. If I had someone complain some fish died because I put water in My pond then I would go and get some rotanone, and kill every fish in it. The same as when people complain about loss of habitat, I break out the chainsaw and cut half an acre of trees. Why because they are mine, totally on My property the same as that pond is on someones PRIVATE property.
    My point is griping will only tick off the land owner and you might find no fish or NO FISHING signs posted around it in the future.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    your still pollutin any way you see it.don't think it matters if it is private or not.
    still contaminating the water and soil,which is illegal.

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Joe, I agree that it's your property, and I 100% support private property rights. The problem is that the pollution may not stay on YOUR property. It may seep into groundwater, etc. Then the rights of the adjacent property owner are being violated.

That's why I asked if the pond has any sort of drainage to a creek/etc.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    see what they think about takin a whiz in it

12. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Chlorine dissipates in the air in a few days. No ground water contamination from it. If so then those of us with wells and are ordered by health departments to pour chlorine into our wells or have them condemned are in a lot of trouble. To sell my house my well has to meet certain bacteria levels and chlorine is the choice of the government to make it so. So that contamination arguement about chlorine in a private pond doesn't work. Anyone have neighbors with an above ground pool? Where do they empty their water when they drain it down for the year? Like me and just drain it into the yard?
    If it has a drainage system to a watershed then that is a different story. Most of those types of ponds are self enclosed and are there for landscaping and water drainage because parking lots cover so much area.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  13. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good points Joe.

14. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    wow, whats a 40 lb cat doing in an apartment complex pond anyway?? holy crap.....:confused2:

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hes layin there dead :smile2:

i bet that fish has seen some things go down now.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Joe. would you cut off your nose to spite your face?:big_smile::wink:

17. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    No Jack, I get upset when other people complain about what someone does with or on their own property. The original post asked what he could do about it. He asked what we would do about it. The answer is not a darn thing since he doesn't own it and it isn't public land. To me that shows total disrespect for property owners.

Right there is one reason why so many people DON'T let people go on their land to fish or hunt, what is the guy going to do because he doesn't like something I do to my land.

18. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Very good point Joe. What you said , along with the threat of lawsuits has closed a lot of doors to hunting and fishing private property, A h-- of a lot of doors.
    Joe, would you happen by any chance to be the "Smoking Joe" of railroad moniker (railcar cartoon) fame? If so I have seen some of your work.:big_smile_2:

19. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i don't know why this is a problem for you,,in the 5 min's it took me to read the thread, i solved 2 of your problems you ve been having at this pond, ok here we go, that coon that has been giving you hell,kill him and clog up there drain hose :smile2::wink:stuff it in there with a broom stick:big_smile::wink: BAME!!!! you just killed to birds with one stone:wink::cool2:, all kidding aside, im sorry to here you lost a nice fishing spot bud,keep looking you'll find more, i use goggle earth, start with one spot,look around and when you find one go try it out, it uncovers a lot of water you cant see from walking around,saves time, and gas money:cool2:,ive found a lot of water this way:wink: But, it also put's you in COON country:crazy:, oh and by the way, keep a eye out and listen close FOR THAT BIG FOOT!! THEY HAVE BEEN SEEING OUT THERE LATELY !!:crazy::wink::cool2:

20. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    no sir, it actually has kind of a channel which the rain waters from the apts. dump into, and thats where they dumped the pool water