Poll: Whats your favorite Braided Fishing Line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by patrickgd, Jan 4, 2009.

Which Braided Line do you prefer?

1. Spider Wire

2. PowerPro

3. Stren Super

4. Excel

5. Magic Braid

6. Pline Suffix

7. Tuf Line XP

8. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Tell us which Braided Line you prefer in the poll and tell us why you like it better than others you've tried.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i guess i voted for suffix performance line. i just like the tighter braid and slightly better abrasion resistance.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Vicious wasn't listed, but it's fairly new also.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have used power pro for years and never had any problems with it, so I never tried anything else.

5. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I have tried and used many brands, until I used STREN Super Braided, now I will not try or use anything else, simply the BEST I ever used. I waited a long time for a good Braid to come out, and it was worth the wait.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I started using power pro because wal mart had it for sale cheap one day and I decided to try it out. Been using it since.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I have tried a few and I'll tell you what I've found.

Spider Wire- Very tough straight out of the box but cannot stand much abrasion. frays very easily and weakens quickly. After a day of hard fishing the line starts to look like sewing thread. :0a28:

Magic Braid- Nothing good to say about this stuff.
    tag ends unravell badly and the unravelling "runs" even with a good sharp clean clip it unravells when wet.

Line gets flat after use....weird???

Breaking strength listed in KG instead of lbs. which is annoying if your shopping at the store and not well versed in metric conversion.

Bubble wrapped so you can't examine the line prior to purchasing it.

* I bought a 300 yard spool for around $20+ dollars looking to save a few bucks. Instead I pretty much wasted money:confused2:. I only feel confident using this line as a 3-way weight leader in a snag free environment.

PowerPro- Very tough, abrasion resistant, does not unravel with a good sharp clip. Very good but very expensive. :nosebleed:

Stren Super- I personally have not bought this product but used a buddies r&r which had it once. Seemed identical to PowerPro and from what I've seen priced a bit more. :crazy:

anyway thanks to all who are sharing experience. I'd like to find a better or equal line to the Power Pro and stren super but for half the price :smile2:

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    cheap and strong bro power pro all the way

9. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    Power Pro all the way. until i find something that I think is better.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been a big supporter of PowerPro for the past 6 years or so, to the point that they probably should have given me a kickback or something :smile2:, but this past year I found something I like better...

Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. It's as strong as PowerPro, it is standing up well to the test of time, and it's as smooth as silk, much smoother than PowerPro. The catch is that it's hard to find and it's expensive, but if you watch Ebay and some of the online shops that carry it you can eventually find a good deal.

Another line I tried and really liked this year is Sufix Performance Braid. It's almost as smooth as the Daiwa, and is strong and holds up well. It's also a lot easier to find than the Daiwa.

I consider the Sufix a step above PowerPro, and the Daiwa to be a step above Sufix.

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You can not go wrong with Power Pro.

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Gary, I noticed a new braid while searching the internet. A brand called Diawa Samurai which was a whopping $59.99 for a 300 yard spool. I think I should stay away from something that costs that much, I might like it too much! :smile2:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    From what I can tell, the Samurai is the same line as the Daiwa Boat Braid I like except for the color. But at that price I'd go for the Sufix instead.

I found the Boat Braid for about half that much, $30 for 300 meters, but I had to be patient. I've also found the big spools, 1970 yards, for $115 (70lb) and $175 (100lb). That's significantly cheaper than the retail price for that much PowerPro. Of course you can find PowerPro for below it's own retail price too if you look around.

14. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I'm getting the Idea from this poll that everyones favorite braid is powerpro because its cheaper. Thanks because I used to think it was suppose to be good.

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Last year on e-bay I got a 1500 yd spool of #50 Power Pro for $94. That was the buy now price. I like the Power Pro cause I can keep it on my reel for a few years without changing it. I also went to using circle hooks and since it has no stretch I think I get better and cleaner hooksets.

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I don't consider PowerPro to be cheaper at all, in fact it is about the highest priced Line available at BassPro except for the StrenSuper which is $1 more.

I call Spider Wire, Trilene's Gorilla Line and Magicbraid the cheaper ones. I always thought I was paying for the best quality when I "suck it up" and buy PowerPro. Heck I can get a 500 yard spool of 50 lb. Mono for $10 but can't cast it 10 feet :smile2:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I have used power pro for years and never had any problems with it, so I never tried anything else.>

That pretty much sums up the equation. I have never had ANY problems with Power Pro.

Bill in SC

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Never heard of this line. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks!

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    voted for power pro cause of the braids ive used it does less damage to the eyes on my pole.

20. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky

Thanks for letting me know about this stuff ill have to check it out and give it a try