POLL: What size bait for Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Jul 13, 2009.

What size bait for Blues?

1. Finger nail size

2. 1/4 oz

3. 1/2 oz.

4. 1-2 oz.

5. 1/4 lb.

6. 1/2 lb

7. 3/4 lb

8. 1 lb.

9. Real Big 1 lb+

10. INSANE BIG like a whole BIG Skipjack

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Poll what size bait for blues

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    [​IMG]
    ive noticed durring winter with water temps below 38 degrees or so they take a smaller piece of cut bait about quarter size the best or 3 to 4 shad heads off the little 3 inch shad

after water temps break over 45 degrees or so they will take bigger pieces of cut bait well .

spring with warmer water temps 60 degrees or so they will once again hit live bait and bigger pieces of cut .

summer months i use live shad and gills allmost every time ,, i usually have 6 poles out with half cut bait on and the other 3 rods with live bait .

as far as fall same as summer until water temps fall below 55 degrees then its back to cut bait

flatheads this is even more important on size of bait and water temps

very very rare for a flathead to consume a large bait when water temps drop below 50 degrees because there matabolism drops very low in cold water temps , small slender baits 3 inches and smaller is better ...

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    a couple weeks ago I caught a 62 lb blue on a 11 to 13 inch creek chub . so in summer big bait works well on big fish .

also spoonfish ( troy ) a couple years ago caught a 60 lber on a strip of cut carp that was 2 inches wide by 10 inches long .

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught more blues on large skipjack head than any other baits. I like the larger baits when the water is warm, and go smaller in the cooler weather. The fish will tell you what they prefer.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to believe in the big bait big fish theory. My problem is that I bank fish and I am limited on the size bait I can use due to the need for casting distance. If I fished from a boat I would prefer to lob big baits, but I don't, so I use the largest bait I can cast to the distance I need to be.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i got altone problem, id go with big bloody skipjack heads

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Not sure I can figure the weight but a 3"x3"X1" steak, is my norm,, But one thing for sure that ive noticed big bait,, big fish,, But a small bait will catch ALL sizes fish,, The one in my avitar hit a small quarter size chunk of skipjack right under the boat, Surrounded by Big Baits on other rods :wink:
    If you have pesky small fish and you want bigger fish, Try upsize your bait.
    Puddle

8. Indysfinest22

Indysfinest22 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I really think it all boils down to what kind of mood these fish are in, i swear i honestly think that catfish in general are more moody and emotional than our female conterparts(no offense) As like everyone else iv thrown big baits little baits live baits and dead baits and my 3 biggest fish were a 29lb flat, a 36lb blue both caught on a 1 inch square piece of cheese steak in july, and the other was a 26lb blue caught on a rotten 1 inch bluegill so who knows!! I think its all luck really!

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bank fishing below outlets, I usually use shad heads, however, I have had days when then will not touch a head, they want the whole thing, or they want a small fillet, or a steak. Then I go back the next day, and fish the same water and same conditions at the same time, and they want something totally different. I usually use 2 surf rods fishing from the bank, and I will use a head on one and a fillet on the other and that usually gives me a good indication of what they are after.

I also have had times when they wont even hit a shad, but put a small 2-3 inch perch on they go crazy. I think blues are just pickey eaters.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Remember, things look bigger under water. A two ounce bait looks like a half pound to a hungry blue. Why do you think girls like to go skinny dipping? :eek:oooh::crazy: :wink:

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Like many of you have said, I agree it all depends on the situation, from time of year and water temp to how far you need to cast.

I do allot of bank fishing and find that I can sling a Bluegill head or a small-medium size skip Head a country mile. But when I'm in a boat I'll lob half a Skipjack head and gut pocket with 2 hooks (which I believe is very important). I've caught 1 and 2 lbers on the lower hook through the gut area numerous times on a bait that you would think would be impossible for a small fish to be caught on. Sometimes you just can't beat guts, whether there thread round a 3/0 circle or hanging off a half a large skipjack.

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Huge bluegills 3/4 lb...If i dont eatem first!!

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I will put out huge baits for big blues 10+ inch suckers shad carp and mooneye. and half lb chunks of cut bait carp ect. If I am just fishen to catch fish I scale the baits down to what works 4 to 6 inch live baits 2x2in of cut bait.

14. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    I usually just cut a shad in half and put it on the hook or cut the tail off a blue gill and use the head and gut pocket.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id listen to welder, that dude slays em, look at that avatar,i dont think any of us can prove him wrong

16. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use cut shad alot and normally the size would be about one third of a 4 to 5 in shad thats what i normally use and works well for me.

17. bankfisher73

bankfisher73 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I typically like to throw out a variety of different sized baits on different rods. Have caught big fish on small baits and vice versa. If I am targeting big blues in warmer weather it will always be a big bait though.Think you can get away with a smaller bait in winter and early spring due to their behavior pattern those times of year. Seems they'll eat almost anything that smells right and is fresh in early spring. Have caught good blues on drum,perch,shad,carp and buffalo in early spring before they go on the beds.

18. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like bigger baits in the summer. A buddy caught a sixty about a week ago on a perch that was probably a pound or so.

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Blues are just plain hogs. When they are in that feeding mode, I'm not sure there is a bait that is too big. Last year, caught a nice 48# blue on a whole shad roughly 14" long. While unhooking, I noticed a pretty good sized tail of a bass hanging out of it's throat. After putting it in the livewell, a couple hours later it threw up the largemouth bass. I weighed it, just a hair under 6#.

Normally, I'll fish with anything from chunks 3-4" cuts to whole shad. Just depends on what they are hungry for, that particular day. And they do get picky at times.

my theory is if they can get it in their mouth, it's a meal then. Opportunistic feeders also comes to mind. I have no problem being generous with the size of bait.

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that's pretty cool!

I agree with Pip on being opportunistic feeders. I generally use medium baits but have caught big fish on small baits as well. My wife's PB blue came on a small (1/2 inch) steak of skipjack. Other days, we'll catch smaller fish on huge pieces of bait.