POLL - Size of Bait Tank?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Jul 11, 2009.

Recommended overall size of bait tank? For a boat.

1. 15

2. 20

3. 25

4. 30

5. 35

6. 40

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    If you were to purchase a Bait Tank, what size would be the best all around for holding bait? For instance, I plan to hold minnows, skipjack, mooneye, shad or blue gill. So, would 15, 20, 25, 30, etc.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    A lot has to do with the size of the boat you're using the bait tank with. Some boats aren't large enough to handle a big tank, but 25 gallons would be plenty large enough for my 17' center console, I think. I have a 15 gallon built in, but I mostly use a homemade one with circulating system and bubbler that is portable, and also holds about 15 gallons. It holds plenty of bait for any of my fishing trips.

3. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    skipjack is hard to keep alive in my expierience. you need to make sure there is some current for them to swim against, and the water needs to be very arated to sustain them. shad are similar, in that sense. the biggest you can fit would be my recomendation. this will keep a good amount of room for them so they dont lose all thier scales and die from stress. it will also keep plenty of water on them that has good amounts of o2.

4. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

First how big is your boat? One gallon of water by weight is 8.33lb
    So a 15 gallon tank would be 125 lbs, + the tank. So how much can your boat hold, would be what you need to look at first.