Poll: Restriction on SC Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Apr 27, 2007.

What do you think?

1. Don't change a thing in the regs

2. One fish over 32" per angler

3. No harvest of fish over 32"

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am stealing the idea frm Price over on the NC thread and posting a poll on harvest restrictions in SC.

Chime in with your thoughts.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    One could only wish it would happen across the board (all states)!!!

3. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I happy about the new law and hope it will go into effect this year. It would suit me if they'd take it a step further and get rid of trotlines while they are at it

4. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I AGREE ABOUT THE TROTLINES. I have occasionally run them over the years with family for entertainment and food but we always removed them after the weekend. Go out in the area in front of Mill Creek and just past the bridge and you will see way too many. I was duckhunting a few years ago and while loading the boat one of those commercial guys was coming in and the whole front of his boat was loaded with fish anywhere from a pound to 50. I know a man's gotta make a living but at the expense of raping the ecosystem I gotta call a foul. Just ask the saltwater guys. Longliners have ruined the sportfishing off the S.C. coast. I know of one guy who was an avid offshore guy that sold his boat and bought an R.V. and a membership at Big Water on Marion because he said it was no use going he had not raised a billfish in two years. That I think is where tyhe big problem lies. Catfish can be grown in ponds. Trotliners(commercial) are having a good business with the public paying the overhead.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Trotliners(commercial) are having a good business with the public paying the overhead...."

That comment right there sums up my views on commercial fishing in public lakes.

6. catch & release

State:
    SC
    While I'm at it, I'll add bowfishing. The bowfishermen are slaying the catfish in the shallows at Santee right now. I saw a guy the other morning with a truck bed full of fish. Alot were catfish, with some in the 30-40 pound range. He was selling them one at a time to the highest bidder. Even the carp were fetching $5 a piece. Maybe it's unfair to add bowfishermwn as there may be a discriminate few out there, but this one obviously drops the hammer on everything that swims

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I say deffitenatly put them in the category cause they are most of the time a pain in my side trying to fish at night in the lake. If the wind picks up and I have to gon in and fish in the creeks these guys have no problem pulling right up next to u with those generators blaring and thrashing up the water. I say 1 fish over 32" ought to plenty and a good compromise but I wish was for flatheads also.

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Trotliners(commercial) are having a good business with the public paying the overhead...."

That comment right there sums up my views on commercial fishing in public lakes.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    An objective question. What are the sounds and estuaries?

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I would like to see one per boat and not one per person!

11. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I wish SC would reconize all types of catfish as legal gamefish. That would put an end to trotliners and bowfishing hurting the catfish population. The bowfishermen still would have carp and gar. Trotliners could get a commercial liscense and build a pond to raise catfish in and trotline all they want to. As for this poll goes, some ppl say not to havest any fish over 32", I would have to disagree. We in SC are fortunate in the abundance of catfish and if none of the big ones were harvested it could end up disasterous for many of the other species that inhabit our waters. Catfish are just like deer, we need to help control the population by taking a few.

Joe

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Interesting response. There appear to be some hardcore catters in the pole!! That is nice to see. :big_smile:

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I didnt vote because (evaluate each body of water and then make a decision) wouldnt in there.Thats what I would vote for.
    • Santee has the biggest problem and the only problem with it is that theres not the ammount of 60 and 70 lb fish in it as it used to be.It dang sure is not a lack of catfish.I think the new rule if they can manage to inforce it will do wonders.I dont think banning trotlines completely is the answer, they work as population control.DNR loves new laws and writeing tickets, I think they will inforce this rule to the fullest extent for a while, therefore cracking down on all types of fishing including commercial and recreational trotlines.I'm not even gone comment on the bowfishing thing.
    • Take Lake Monticello for example.You cannot trotline, jug, limbline, set baskets or anything, you cant even throw a thrownet.When I first started fishin there 10 years ago we could just about be sure to catch a 40+ lb blue every 2 trips there during the prime of the year.Now its a struggle to catch one 40 lb fish per month and I hadnt done that in 2 months.Well if it was any other lake we could blame the trotlines and commercial fishing but we cant because thats not the problem.The problem is that theres to many fish competeing with one another that they are not reaching the size as fast as they used to.They seem to be stuck in a 15 to 25 lb range with only a few in the 30's from time to time. Theres so many catfish in this lake that almost every 10 to 20 lb fsh that I have cleaned has had a stomach full of catfish from numerous baby catfish to 2+ lb catfish.I think some restrictions need to be lifted on this lake because I think its only gonna get worst.Me and ever rod and reel isherman that fishes there want even be able to put a dent in the population, thats where I think to some extent trotlines are th equalizer that could help.
    • Then you got a lake like Lake Greenwood where a 36" rule wouldnt even apply because the dominant species is channel cats.Here lies another problem, of all the lakes I fish this lake is the only one that is still dominated by channel cats and the only one where you can consistantly catch 10+ lb channel cats on a nearly day to day basis.What do we do to keep it this way, nobody knows.The first inclination would be to keep every blue and flathead caught out of here but part of me wants them in there where on the other hand I dont want them to ruin the channel cats which they will do.Look what happened to the channels at Santee.There would probably have to be a no channel cat over 21" rule or somethin like that to protect the big ones.But I dont know, thats where the studies and evaluation would come into play.
    • Lake Wateree is kickin out 40, 50 and 60 lb blues better than any other lake in SC including Santee right now.Whats goin on there thats not goin on everywhere else? Huge forage base and not an overpopulation of blues just yet.Thats what biologists and common since will tell you anyway.What do you do in that situation? Put restrictions on it and try to fix somethin that aint broke and possible make it better or more than likely ruin by lettin it get overpopulated.
    • Lake Murray is startin to get a big population of blues and it has a huge forage base which is goin to result in a big bloom of big blues just like Lake Wateree.The question is what do we do to keep it that way once it happens?
    • Clark Hill gets 1000's of lbs of flatheads grabbed out of it each week from March thru July.Its still got some of the biggest flatheads in the state.Could it be better or worst if those 1000's of lbs wouldnt hauled out a week?
    These are just some of the examples of why a state wide rule or ban would be a bad thing.Every lake needs to be studied.All this that I listed are from my fishing experiences thru the years and hours of talkin to bilogists and other fisherman and guides.In other words its not all facts just a lot of assumptions but based on history it makes since.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I have to say that you've echoed my feelings very well. Every body of water is different and needs to be regulated separately, at least to some degree. We must also keep in mind that any species introduced into a body of water, such as the blues in most cases around here, and the flathead in some cases, aren't going to recieve the same level of protection that the native species will get, at least not in the near term. The success of blues in Santee Cooper can also be a warning when introducing an unregulated species; overwhelming or replacing the native channels, just as the proliferation of white perch is thought by some to have been detrimental to several species of fish, including stripers and the once-plentiful white bass.......:confused2:

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy I have received the books and started reading mine.It is a wonderful story primarily oriented on the stripers and largemouths but covers all species.It has stories about some of our guide friends like the Droses,Furman Casey, John Sellers etc.It is a wonderful history lesson of what Santee was in 1981,who owned the fish camps then and how they went about catching the fish.It is also a sad commentary of how not to conserve a valuable resource.The destruction of the big largemouth and huge striper fisheries is pretty well documented.Send me your address and I will mail you yours.I want to go down to Tabor City and talk to the author Mr Carter as he is a Pulitzer Prize winner and I think his insight as to Santee today would be intersting.:smile2:

16. catch & release

State:
    SC
    Is the book still in production? How can I find one?

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The book is called "Wild & Wonderful Santee Country"by Horace Carter.
    Atlantic Publishing Co.
    1108 E 5th Street
    Tabor city NC 28463
    910 653 3153

Just call and you can place an order by Visa.I would ask for Mr Carters autograph also because he is a Pulitzer Prise winner.He is 86 and still at the office in the morning.The book is 15$ I think and worth every penny.:big_smile:

18. catch & release

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the book info

Also, in response to Chrisblue, that was well put on the biological dynamics of how each lake needs to be viewed separately in how and what type of fish are allowed to be harvested. I think you are dead on the money. BUT, there is another factor in addition to a decision based biology/carrying capacity and that is "ethics". I use that term loosely because bow fishermen and trotliners alike in Santee ARE following current laws. The new laws will help to some degree, but the question is, is it fair for a small number of commercial trotliners to take such a large number of fish that you or I could catch by less extreme and glutonous methods? Is it ethical to haul a 70 pound fish to a 1/2 acre mudhole and let 2 rednecks pay $10 to try to catch him (by the way I am a redneck also)? Pay ponds, in my humble opinion rank right up their with some rich guy that pays $3000 to shot a deer in a 50 acre enclosure. We have too many deer in most areas......how would it go over if started allowing night hunting? The bottom line is these matters boil down to personnal opinion, with no right or wrong. My vote is "it just ain't right", altough I fully respect the guy that says "it's perfectly OK". I've spent my whole life on and around the lake, and I guess over time I've just seen too much of the bad.....in my humble opinion of course

19. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i don't like trotlines cause i know someone who got 480quarts of catfish the other night on one line. that seems to be over harvest to me.

20. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    With all due respect to you Jarrod, how do you know it's over harvest? I realize to both of us that seems like a large number but who's to say?