POLL QUESTION: DO YOU BUY CATFISH FROM THE STORE TO EAT?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catfish_Commando, Jul 12, 2009.

How Often do you buy catfish?

1. Never - Eat what I catch On My Own

2. Weekly

3. Monthly

4. Semi-Annually

5. Annually

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Other than my last tour in Iraq, (Now Retired), I cant ever recall eating much catfish?

For some reason, the contractor must have got a bazillion pounds of catfish in, and it was on the menu for quite awhile.

Catfish was imported from X country.

Ate so much catfish, that I never wanted to eat anymore.. :smile2:

How often do you buy catfish to eat, or do you?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i voted never but i havnt ate fish of any kind for a long time

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Don,t particulary care for it myself.I,ve tried it at least 8-10 times.I love most any seafood.Like cod,halibut and grouper.I think my favorite thoughis fresh caught yellow perch.When I head up Lake Erie(which I,m doing this week),ther,s a restaurant up there that has all the fresh perch you can eat.Used to be $9.95.They raised it last year to $16.95-they,re still gonna lose money when I walk in the door!:roll_eyes:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought catfish from the store once. I cooked it and fed it to the dog. It tasted like crap. I cooked another batch of the same fish, and vowed never to buy catfish again. I catch what I eat. I don't eat alot of catfish. I catch and release 95% of the fish I catch. Striper are my choice fish to eat in the Tennessee waters besides sauger of course. Andrew

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I used to fix catfish quite regularly at the retirment home, cheap cheap cheap
    usually comes from china or vietnam, american farm catfish about twice as expensive to buy than imported.

Watch carefully about recalls though, last year they recalled all the chinese import, because they were caught pouring unapproved antibiotics into the water in the catfish ponds.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like channel catfish from the store, or from a resturant.

Thats the only way I eat catfish, and only eat it a couple times a year.

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I want to see that little drop of blood from the backbone leak through the cornmeal when I drop them in the earl. No need to check the expiration date on those bad boys, he was still flopping when he lost his head.
    Rat

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Eating store bought catfish?:confused2: That's against my Religion:smile2:

John

9. Bocan

Bocan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only eat what fish I catch myself, durring the non winter months its usually about once every 2 weeks or so. most of my fish get cpr treatment but a few get rolled in seasoning and fried up.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I eat fish about 1 time per month and it is always fresh and out of the river.

Interesting note. The EPA/DNR has no chemical/mercury warnings for catfish caught out of the Chattahoochee river below Bartlets Ferry. It is amazing how people talk bad about the river, but don't know the facts.

11. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    never bought catfish or anything i can catch myself, i'll buy salmon maybe 3-4 times a year

12. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    At $4.00 a pound, I don't think so:crazy: I clean and fry what I catch in the 2-3 lb range. I do at times give older folk fish who can't get them for theirselves. CPR bigger ones.

13. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I like eating what I catch I dont really like the taste of farm raised cat:tounge_out:
    I like giving a lot of my catch to the old folks they love em:big_smile:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll pay big money for a catfish stuffed with crab meat and broiled in butter.
    So no, not the store, but a restaurant.

15. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    ALL MINE COME FROM LONG JOHN SILVERS:wink:

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can buy commercial caught here (Mississippi). Won't eat it cause the river is not for S$$$. Won't buy from store unless American raised, and then only once a month or so. Won't keep anything I catch and won't eat my pet pond raised fish. So I eat a lot of hamburger.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I eat catfish about once or twice a month....and never store bought, just what I catch myself. I prefer bluecats around 3-5 lbs.:wink:

18. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I buy pond raised fish produced in Ms about 2 times a year sunday school fish fry and revival fis fry i could catch enough fish for it but some of the old bittys say flat head taste muddy i eat flat head at the fish fries:smile2::angry:

19. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I catch and eat , Buy and eat....Bluegill , Bass , Catfish i just love it.Fish Fried or Baked Add Pinto Bean Soup with Country Ham For Seasoning , Fried Taters with Onions , Hot Cornbread with Butter Also cut up a few Garden Tomatoes."Yum Yum".. My uncle Ray comes out from Louisville once or twice a month so fish is on our menu alot.

20. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I try only to eat catfish I catch. Have bought some before if we needed some for a stew.

I can eat catfish probably 3 or 4 times a week. We have been eating either catfish or bream from the pond at least once or twice a week recently. No mercury warnings where we fish though.

Don't really like the taste of store bought catfish since I'm used to eating good fresh river catfish.