Poll: Lunar cycles - I've caught more / biger fish when the moon is in what cycle?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AllenM, Jun 4, 2006.

I've caught more / biiger fish when....

1. The moon is full.

2. The moon is half full.

3. The moon is dark.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I've read a number of threads on barometric preasure and lunar cycles that got pretty confusing. I'd like to get a simple vote from everyone as when they catch the most, or the biggest cats while night fishing with more or less moon lit up. This poll will not take clouds and weather into effect, JUSt the cycles of the moon, regardless if it's hidden or not.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i catch the most fish during a "new moon" period, but bigger ones during a full moon.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I fish a tidal river so I quess the moon has an effect on the fish there indirectly in their feeding habits every 6 hours. But i'm not sold on the moon phase thing and Jupiter When it's in line with mercury or whatever. When i'm hungry I tend to eat something and i'm sure the fish do to.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Dink!
    Maybe when the moon is full it makes you a better fisherman! LOL:big_smile::big_smile:

5. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I had to sit and think about that one if I recall its usually pretty dark

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    My experience is at night the full moon causes fish to suspend and feed on the surface even in deep water resevoirs that I fish.So I would say new moon is better for me at night.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like fishing ona new moon phase with a slight wind

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Like I have said before, I have caught large numbers of cats and large cats during ever lunar cycle there is. Statistically the week after a full moon is better for me, but that could only be because I fish during the day most of the time.

Weather has a much bigger impact on fish bite than the moon.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Darker the better:big_smile: I have the best luck with a new moon.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    A quick look at past records indicate time of year affects when fish feed best on which moon cycle. I fish, day, night. evenings, whenever the urge strikes and the moon cycle has very little to do with our success or failure.........weather and lake/river condition seems to be the determining factor. If you have good luck on a certain lunar cycle, far be it from me to discourage you from fishing that cycle. Hey! If it works for ya, it doesn't matter much does it?????:big_smile: :wink:

11. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Full Moon for Me Thanks TIMBO

12. Skrod

Skrod New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think my experience mostly duplicates Copycat's -- that is, I'm doing most of my "big fishing" on a strongly tidal river in VA and that the fact that the whole river switches direction 4 times a day (every 6 hours) has the largest effect.

"Slack tide" when the current slows down and then stops when the tide is going from "coming in" to "going out" (or vice versa) and twilight when the sun has just set seem to be the most productive periods, regardless of moon phase as far as I've been able to see.

In still waters like lakes -- huh, I just couldn't say -- it always just seems hit-or-miss one day after the next (1 fish one day, 6 fish the next ... who knows).

Just my experience,

Kevin (Skrod)

13. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Thanks, everyone who posted and voted. I greatly appriciate the input. Now a lot of you mentioned weather conditions having a more dramatic effect on the bite. Anyone care to elaborate? I've heard that the cats generally bite better right after a rain storm. Is this your experience, or do you think otherwise? Please give as much detail as possible on what conditions you find them to be most active... Temperature range (air/water), barometric preasure (going up, dropping, steady?), rain (before / during / after?), and so on and so forth please.

Thanks again. This could become an extremely informative thread. :big_smile:

14. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I seem to do best when there is plenty of moon up there but clouds cover it up.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Catch More Catfish During The "new Moon" Phase.

16. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I'll go whenever I get the chance regardless of which phase. Now my PawPaw was an old trotliner and if planing a trip to fish he wanted to go the three days after the last quarter of the moon, he alway did well. Don't know how much of it was the moon or how much it was he'd fished his whole life and just knew what he was doing, but he believed it with all his heart and when we went fishing it was the three days after the last quarter.

17. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i use to really keep up with the moon cycles and try and fish them as much as possible. i even had one of those little moon cycle wheel things in my tackle box. it just seems to me that everytime the moon would be in cycle, there would be a cold front or the river would be dropping or some other thing to mess up the situation. jackass and i use to really get into all the specifics like keeping a fishing journal and all that. i don't do it anymore. i figured that i am a fisherman, not a scientist.i don't have time or the motivation to be writing all this crap down. i just fish. i don't worry about the moon phases anymore. i just fish. as hectic as my schedule is anymore i go fishing whenever i get a chance to do so.

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'll Have To Check The Sky The Next Time I Pull In A Big Flathead.lol

19. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    3 days before and after the new moon are best. The world record channel was caught three days before a new moon. However, I caught my biggest channel ever during a bright moon.

Other factors we should consider when evaluating the "moon bite" are water clarity and moon rise/set times.

Murky water lessens light penetration through water which may nullify some of the full moons effects on fish.

If the full moon rises when the sun rises, there won't be a moon out at night. Does this situation fish the same way fishing under a new moon does? Don't know.

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree Diego:wink: It seems like the bite gets better too when the moon ans sun is starting to rise and set. Even the moon setting heats up the bite. At least that is it appears:confused2: