Poll: How often do you check your baits?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by tuscan toadfish, Dec 21, 2009.

Poll: How often do you check your baits?

1. every 15 minutes

2. every 30 minutes

3. every 45 minutes

4. once an hour

5. never: I only check the baits when I am leaving

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Member

State:
    Matthews,
    Poll: How often do you check your baits? Actually how often do you reel in your bait (without a strike indication) to see if your bait is still OK, before throwing it back out?
    Specify if you are fishing the fast tailrace of a dam or a calm lake, if you're using cut bait or live bait, if your drifting trolling or anchored (or bank fishing).
    Personally, I want to let the bait sit awhile to let the scent disperse; but I don't want to leave my hook out there if the bait has been robbed already.
    P.S. Also; How often do you change baits, if the whole original bait is still on the hook after reeling it in just to check it?

2. When my man Pip (Mike) took me out on my first Blue trip in October, I tried to check them at least every 1/2 hour, even less. I am sure conditions dictate also.

3. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    every thirty mins. or after a good bite

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on how much fresh bait I have. If I have good bait, I will check about every 30 minutes or so.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    After thirty minutes. I check mine.

6. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    bout an hour with no bite for me, also im usually bankfishin, when i check bait ill usually change it out

7. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    I check mine every 30 minutes unless I see a bite then I let it sit for about 5 minutes after a bite and then check it.

8. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I check and put fresh bait on every 30 min...

9. catfishslayer330

catfishslayer330 New Member

State:
    Centertown, Mis
    i bank fish usally by a wingdike with about three poles most of the time i use cut bait on two poles and stink on another i check every 30min if i have goten a bite on one ill let it sit for an extra 5min

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    About every 30 minutes for me. If I get a bite then it is about 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if I'm drifting/or fishing in current.

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't have a set routine,, I've had baits on for HOURS, and then catch a fish.. sometimes, I reel in, and NO bait..
    Just depends on what's going on..or not going on..If I'm really on it, and stuff is happening,, I think honestly about every 1-3 hours..

I fish lakes and a river, and if I see a Rig in bad, or out of shape,, I check then, also.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im with him, just depends on whats going on. every time is different heck ive had fresh bait on for a half hour without a bite reeled in put on a piece of bait that died earlyer and i had tossed out of the bait bucket and was starting to smell (summer time) and had a bite in under 5 min. Ya never know

13. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    After 20-30 minutes for me without a bite I'm paranoid that the bait is wrapped in weeds, using Secret 7 or cut bait on the bottom. After a bite the dip worm is usually cleaned, so if I don't get another strike very soon after I'll check it and rebait, then toss it in the same spot. I usually rebait when I check the bait anyway, get more scent in the water.

Generally I am fishing a calm lake without current, but in a river it just depends on how the bait is fairing, how hot it is out that day, water temps, current, etc. that wash the stink bait off the dip worm. I usually do about the same with cut bait, if the stink bait is washing off rapidly, so are the blood and oils from the cut bait.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i try to check mine every 30 minutes or so, then i return it to the same area. every hour i will change out my bait for new or a different kind and change ether the position or presentation a little especially if i keep with the same type of bait. i fish multiple rods and multiple types of baits when possible.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I don't ever check mine. Unless you're fishing where there is crabs there ain't much reason to. A big chunk of cutbait isn't going to just fall off. If ya get a good bite maybe but even then my bait usually doesn't come off.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I hadn't even thought of dip/stink bait stuff,,,, I never use it,,I'd check that stuff about every 15 minutes ,,,If I could stand using it..

Just live, fresh cut , and nightcrawlers... are all I use..

And, I have Flathead and Channel cats where I fish..No Blues close to me..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    After 30 minutes with no good bites I will move spots and change bait .

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    it depends for me in a river with current every 15 mins or more but in a lake with no current 30 mins seems ok

19. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I fish with mostly herring,shrimp,or crawlers and the herring chunks I check once an hour,but the other two I check constantly,especially if I have action.

20. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :tounge_out:if i hear two splashes right away:big_smile: