Poll: How long do you stay in a spot before moving without any bites?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by timbo, May 29, 2006.

How often do you move when fishing

1. Never

2. After 30 minutes no bites

3. After 60 minutes no bites

4. After 2 hours no bites

5. 3 hours or more

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi we went fishing last night and after seting in the boat for 8hr went to (4) spots and got (((1--19lb, cat ))))i got to thinking how long is to long ,got in at 3:45 am put the boat in at abought 7:30 dont get me wrong had a great time .just thought i would see what ever one had to say let me know ???????:big_smile:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    As far as I'm concerned if I'm in my boat with good company and I have done my homework and I am applying what knowledge I have. There is no such thing as too long. LOL! My personal best is 16 hours on the river. They are there ya just gotta find em. LOL!

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Long is staying when you aren't having a good time. Could be an hour or a week. Just depends.

Jim

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    AMEN!
    Long is when you are with the wrong company, I don't care how many you catch. Funny what you can find out about a man stuck on 16' of aluminum in the middle of the lake. Conversely. with the right company; time flies.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I agree with the other posters. Sure, we would all like to catch more when we go, but that is only part of the fishing experience.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    An hour with out a fish is an hour wasted, I will set for an hour and move or go home.

7. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    The big question for me is when do you have to get up and go to work?If you can sleep the next day then its not to long.I have fished over 18hrs straight(awake),but I was catching fish-kept my heart pounding.I have pulled all nighters manytimes,on those I can't say I wasn't awoke by the ringing bell.Thats another great thing about catfishing if you have a rod holder and a bell you can catch up on your sleep and fish at the same time!:smile2:

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the sound of that... and it doesn't just apply to fishing.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    While some people move a lot, I have a real problem with that.
    Not to say they are wrong, it's saying I'm scared to move!
    I even have trouble reeling in to check my bait!
    Everytime I think about moving, recasting, rebaiting, I imagine a monster catfish comeing up on my bait just as I retreave it.
    In fact, I am constantly imagining that all the time I am fishing.
    I am way to intense that way.
    I dont' think about nothing else... just stare at my poles ready to react any second.

Do they have a pill for that?

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If I am out on the bank and enjoying myself, then there is no such thing as to long for me. It beats sitting here at the puter, ain't never caught a fish here yet. When I was in better shape I use to wander a lot, now I'm just content to be out there hoping to catch some kitty's.

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Good question and I think there are two answers.

1. In my boat, 15 to 30 minutes per stop.

2. On the bank, an hour and I move.

If the fish are not biting where my bait is, I'm moving.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I guess I am old school. I have sat in one spot for hours. My pap paw told me years ago to let the cat come to you, they have good since of smell. I am trying to break my habit, I am always ready for a change to the good.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I would like to take a poll, but I cant add it to this thread....
    Sure would like to see some hard results back.

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It depends, but probaly every 30-45 mins. move down stream a bit 20-30 yards.

Aaron

TA2D

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Many variables that I use to make that desicion, Tide, time, weather etc. On average every sixty minutes when fishing from boat.

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If I am in a boat with somebody whenever they want, on the bank very seldom.

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'm going to my first good hole. I'll set two poles, one with cut bait the other with a live gill, minnow, or shad. Twenty minutes from the last bait settling, I'm taking fish off or moving. I will come back to the same spot later, especially after I've caught fish and know what they are looking for. Good company makes that 20min. like 5, so I don't mind waiting. I don't stay home every night so why should they? Find-em!
    Don

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If in a boat, I will move about every hour or so, cause if they ain't bitin I enjoy the ride as well, LOL!!!

19. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I'm of the school of thought that if you're not getting bit in a certain location within half an hour, you're probably in the wrong location.

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Bank fishing I never move. LMAO Figure catfish cant say in the same place all the time. But, who knows.