POLL-How do you make your cheese dough bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by bipolarguy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey all i was just wondering how all of you made your cheese dough bait and what cheese works best for you.

I'm your huckelberry----say when.

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Well I made a bunch out of some free Riccota cheese I was given.

Started with a base of cooked cornmeal, added the drained cheese (kinda like cottage cheese texture wise) blended them together then started working in flour.

I froze a quart of this base for use next year.

To this I added the meat from one Goldeye that had been sitting in the fridge for a week. (not ripe, but very very soft, kinda scraped it off the skin rather than cut or fillet.) Also added 1 can of sardines in oil, some garlic.

I actually had quite good luck with this bait, but it started growing mold on it in the fridge. And at that point the fish pretty much quit biting on it.

If I was going to do this again, I would.

A save every scrap of moldy cheese I could lay my hands on till I had quite a bit frozen. Then thaw it all out and make bait.

B If I used the ricotta again, set it outside for a week in the sun to get really ripe.

C Freeze in smaller quantity's

D Add more flavor, either 2 or 3 goldeye's gone a bit ripe/soft, or a couple of large cans of sardines or herring in oil.

3. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    Any yellow cheese ad shad oil.Or any fish oil and cattails. mixs well go fishin PS you can buy cheese trimmings google it.

4. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Here is mine 1gal cheese trimmings aka rotten cheese 5LBS flour, cattail fuzz a small amount of old grease also about 1oz anise oil mix together makes a great summer dough bait.:smile2:

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Mark and Nick had a recipe I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I shared.
    Both were old retired fishing buddies that fished every day.

In a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of chunked cheese add eggs.
    Mash and stir until smooth consistency.

There you have it.
    Let age until you need some. Gets better with age.

have a good one
    just

6. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    What is Cattails?

7. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    they mean the plant called cattails that grows in swamps and marshes and near water...has a big thing on top looks like a corndog that is really a bunch of fuzz if you break it up. use this fuzz to thicken dip/stink baits and it turns them into punch baits.

8. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I made some stinkbait one time. This is what I did...

In a 1 gallon ziplock freezer bag, I combined rotten livers, 1/2 lb moldy mozzarella, eggs, tuna, sardines in oil, garlic salt, and cornflakes. I closed the bag and kneaded it into a thick bater and made balls of it and put them in egg cartons. Next, I set them outside for a couple days and used the dried result. Needless to say, I drew some flies and the smell almost brought me to tears. However it was all worth it because I had great success on channels that weekend.

Not sure why but I havent done that since. Probably the smell!!:crazy: But Thats how I did it. I used rubber gloves when I made the rations so my hands never even got dirty until I was ready to put them on a hook. I would recommend making your own bait to anyone because there is nothing more fun than mixing a bunch of crap together and then see it actually produce fish. This is quite fulfilling actually.

So just see what you can round up from the back of the fridge and try it :smile2::smile2:

-Tang-

9. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Has anyone found one kind of cheese to work better or worse than others?

10. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I find that Cheddar works best for me. It is a very strong smelling cheese. :eek:oooh:

11. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    The kind that I is rotten cheese trimmings that you can get from Net&Twine dealers. This cheese stinks to high heaven but it works. Hope this helps!!