Poll: Braided or Mono

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Boss Hogg, Feb 7, 2007.

Mono or Braided?

1. Braided Line

2. Mono Line

3. I use both

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    What type of line do you use when you CATFISH. Please exclude what line you use for other game fish.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the time I use braided, but on occassion I will use my baitcaster for cats and use mono on my baitcasters.

Most of my catfishing is done with spinning gear and all of that has braided.

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Braided for spinning reels with mono leaders. Mono for baitcasters.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    mono all the way. i have tried braided before and liked some of its attributes but it doesnt warrant the extra cost and the headaches.
    mono on the other hand is great for how i fish. Low cost, just enuff stretch, and stout enuff for the fish.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Mono here, I cant afford the cost of braid.

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I use both lines. braid for spinning reels but sometime I use 4 to 12 lbs test mono on spinning reels too.. mono for baitcaster, it's more smooth casting..

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Berkley Big Game (Mono) all the way.:smile2:

8. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if casting is no issue,i like braid but most of the time i need the extra casting distance that mono gives me.

9. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Uhh...hmm. I guess I'd say i use them both in both situations. It just depends on how much money I have or what I feel like using. I have a Catmaxx baitcaster that holds up to 17lb test i believe and 17 isnt the best poundage for big cats so i go with mono.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I PREFER MONOFILAMENT.

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Where is Flouro on there? J/K I prefer mono cause the braided seems to"chew" up my guides too bad. Now I got Fuji guides (Alconite guide system)I think thats what they are anyway. For the price they should be made out of gold! lol:crazy:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Premium salt water ande from small diamater up to 50 lb. test. Its strong, abrasion resistant, has low memory and ties strong knots. Weather I'm tournament fishing or recreational fishing it's a line I can count on to get the job done.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    So far I like using 20 lb mono.

14. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Thanks for the helpful insight. You must have a information technology degree. Thank you for instructing me on how to check the BOC library. There actually was one pole about this subject in the last year. Sorry about the post coach.

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mostly mono but braid is in the trial period, a large cat is required to complete my desision.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive allways used mono. never felt the need to change,i figure all that hoopla bout braid it mostly just a way to get us to buy anyway.

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've used spider wire before and its tough as nails but I've had more bites on mono then I did the green spider wire.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I use both...depending upon what I'm fishing in as well as around.

Catfish teeth, and especially large rocks...tend to chew up braid line...which is hardly abrasion resistant.

If a guy is casting a lure or minnow tipped jighead, or floating a bobber which keeps your line off the rocks...no big deal.

But...If you're fishing on the bottom with a Carolina rig...Big problem.

It's an even bigger problem when that big one you've been waiting for exploits a frayed section or a nick in the braid...and giggles at you right before he says "Siyanora"...and SNAP! in the same sentence.

Take it from me...Save yourself the grief of losing that dream catch all because you failed to check your line for signs of wear when using braid...or any other type of line for that matter.

If I'm fishing the bottom in a snag infested honeyhole...I'll use a mainline of 50 or 65 lb braid (Power Pro to be precise)...and utilize a 40 or 50 lb Trilene Big Game or Cajun Red Lightnin' mono leader...which is much more abrasion resistant. (Don't forget that you will still need to inspect it periodically as well)

Flourocarbon is even more abrasion resistant than mono...and comes in handy in clear water situations where a heavy and gaudy looking leader spooks bite shy fish in high light situations.

When we're catching bigger blues in murky water where it doesn't matter...I'll even use a 50 lb (or bigger if need be) steel leader to eliminate the worry of it all together.

19. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i use mono on everything i own....prolly always will.

at some point if braid comes down to a reasonable price...i might give it a chance. why should i pay a certain amount of dollars for a relatively small amount of line, when i can spend the same amount of dollars and get at least 3x the bang for my buck??

cyas
    robert

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use Mono for all for my Cattin'
    & Braid for alot of a Ba$$ Fishing.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil