Poll: "BIG blue catfish caught more at night or day?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by tuscan toadfish, Dec 9, 2009.

1. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    For people that fish days and nights: Do you catch "BIG" blues more at night or the daytime? If replying: specify: early day, midday, lateday, early night, midnight, or late night. Thanks! Sorry for the earlier post.

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always catch more as well as bigger fish after dark, usually after 10pm actually. Chris

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree this summer most of my bigger fish came after 10pm, since fall has started they have hit all day and I stopped night fishing basically since October ended

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    THATS A GOOD QWESTION, I NEVER FISHED FOR BLUES AT NIGHT,TO LONG OF A DRIVE TO STAY AWAKE,

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Most of my big blues come at night in the summer and day time in the winter.

6. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    I find I catch more at night, really dont catch many during day no matter how hard I try.

7. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    I know when the hubby and i would do late fishing trips, we would start catching them once the sun started disappearing, till about 12-1am:big_smile:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to go against the grain here I catch more during the day. I tend to drift for blue and it seems like they see it better in the day. I catch more flats at night but do better for blues during the day.

9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I cant speak for fishing from boat,drifting or any of that,but bank fishing I can say all of the bigger blues I have ever caught have been at night.
    As for in the winter...I dont know yet,because Im just starting to winter fish for cats.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About even for me on the Mo river about the best time it seams for me is right before dark till a lil after on the MO river. Late summer when hot after dark in some shallow water. Blues and Flats.

11. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have fished both and fish many tourneys, it seems to me that the its the same, all my big blues came in day time, with that said you have to target the fish diff. from daylight to dark. in the warm time of the yr. in day time go to the channels and in current with drop offs. at night time i move in on flats. seems the bite is about the same it just is in a different spot. if you are bank fishing it would be better for you at night, if your in a boat, day would be my best bet drifting. you have to go where the fish are.

12. justinvaughttattoos

justinvaughttattoos New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    around here it's really just about location... in the deeper parts of the river, they seem to be more prone to hitting after 9 or 10 pm... but in the more shallow parts of the river i've always had the best results between 5 and 8 pm... those suckers are ready to eat all day in the winter time though! good luck buddy...

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Seems I really catch them about the same day or night. I usually fish day and night different though. Day time I am drifting channel edges, humps and drop offs. At night I am mostly drifting flats or at least the transition from structure to flats.

14. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yep nightime in summer and daytime in cool months. They can be caught anytime though just have to target them differently. Nobody wants to sit in the sun when its 95 and try to catfish and nobody wants to fish at night when its 20 degrees. This kind of scews the numbers. Good general rule though

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I only fish when the water is cold, Nov-April so I can fish during the day and we flat wear out the big fish during the winter during the day.

16. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i agree 100% with this post

17. trotliner1

trotliner1 New Member

State:
    texas
    i have always caught my biggest blues right after dark til 3 in the morn. during summer.

18. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    During the morning in Fall and Winter afternoons in the Spring and at night during Summer. Seems to work best for me.

19. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Well I will be the odd ball then.
    I catch most of my big blues in the summer, during early morning hours. I have caught easily twice as many 30lb+ blues from June thru Sept as I have from Nov thru Feb.
    I do catch a lot more 20-30lb fish in winter. They all seem to come from mid-day. A few get caught early morning and I hardly do any night fishing this time of year.