Poll: Bells? Yes or No

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Apr 8, 2009.

Bells? Yes or No

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just curious, do you attach a bell to your rod tip? If not tell us why.

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    There are times to do it and times to not. I am about to buy some for this upcoming week when I will be doing alot of fishing. I generally hate them. However I plan on camping out and getting sleep while fishing so they will be needed.

Upsides, you can catch a few zzz's withought sitting up to look at ur rods.

Downsides, they jinggle when a tule hits your line and wake you up.
    They jingle when seeweed hits your line and wake you up.
    they jinkle when a bat fly's by and hits your line and wake you up.
    They make a ton of noise when reeling in and I am always thinking about taking that damn bell off instead of focusing on my fish.
    They fly off when you set the hook and hit u in the nose then fall in the water.

So yeah their great lol.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Since I started watching my poles and not listening for them I have caught more and bigger fish. If you are relying on a bell, then your not paying attention. :wink:

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    yes i do when im bank fishing so i can walk around sleep ect .i love them bells ringing

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are few,very few times when I do use them,I hardly ever do,I got tired of having to remove them to cast,No problems setting the hook bu I threw a ton away casting after bringing a cat in or checking the bait.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I banked fished I used bells. (Threw a lot in the lake also) Never used them from the boat.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When a nice fish hits, the telltale "thump" of the rod alerts me immediately. No need for a bell.
    Bill in SC

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not use bells. I have in the past and would forget about them
    when casting a fling them half way across the river. LOL

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't use them anymore,, Never cared for the way they fit on the rods,, and I seemed to always lose them anyway,,
    I rely on reels with good, loud clickers now,, seems to be working for me,,

10. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    The rod popping in your rod holder is all you need to hear:eek:oooh:

11. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I use them when I am bank fishing to catch some quick z's. I have lost my share of bell though while setting hooks as well.

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I consider myself to be a pretty obsessive rod watcher BUT I'll be damned if the fish don't always hit when I've got some kind of distraction going on. The bells have given me a fair share of false alarms but have also alerted me to bites that otherwise would have been unnoticed. I too hate the way they jingle when your reeling in, and fly off when you set the hook, and they are a pain to take on and off with a 12 ft pole but I figure I need every advantage I can get get so I use them.

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If you plan on fishing at a givin spot for 5+ hours it is hard to keep your eyes on multiple rods the whole time! restroom or "tree" breaks, rebaiting other rods, changing setups ect. the bell comes in handy.

I only use bells on my channel cat rigs which consist of spinning reels, on my flathead rigs I use baitcasters and set the clicker. If I have a bite when a bell is on I try to take it off before the fish runs, this helps prevent the losing of bells and the annoying sound they make when reeling in a fish.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i listen for my clicker to run, i also use little LED lights on my tips, but a clicker is the way ta go

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Ya for baitcasters, all the spinning reels out there with freespool/baitrunners can't be heard more than 8 feet away, they just don't make em loud enough.

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I prefer to use glow sticks hung either on the rod, with live bait, or on my line inbetween two of the guides when using cut bait. The size live bait i use will keep them bells ringing all the time :smile2:.
    Using a glow stick hung on your line will get your attention even if the fish picks the bait up and come toward you.

17. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    No bells for me. I dont use anything but baitcasters with baitclickers on them. I dont like the spinning tackle for catfishing, never had but I did try them. Baitcasters with a good bait clicker is the only way to go. Pair them up with a good rod holder and you can doze off if that is your plan. When I go fishing im there to fish not to sleep. If I get sleepy I usually go home. Otherwise I put in a rod holder and dont worry about it.

18. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    once and a blue moon i will put one on, but now i have baitcaster's so i plan on just hearing the clicker's. i also have glow in the dark tape on the end of rods and i use circle hooks, so i really don't have to "set" the hook. oh ya i mostly bank fish....justin:cool2:

19. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia

Exactly the way I like to do it! And a good loud clicker.

20. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's not that hard here in Ohio Steve. We only get two poles. I generally fish on a bank spot for ten to twelve hours. the same for a boat but the spot changes from time to time. I suffer from a sleeping problem and staying awake is no problem for me! lol. The biggest cats that I have caught had one thing in common, they hardly moved the rod tip at all. I picked up my rig and felt them turn then set the hook. After learning this behavior I could only wonder how many big cats I had missed over the past thirty five years waiting for a clicker or bell to ring. :crazy: