Polk County Lakes

Discussion in 'FLORIDA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Pferox69, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    I thought I would start this thread and see if anybody else fishes in Polk County.
    Based on what I see when I'm out on the banks there has gotta be somebody else on this board.

Recently I've been fishin Saddle Creek Park, and a pond in the public park by the Alturas Race Track. I have been catchin feeders, although they are few and far between.

Any help on some other shore fishin spots around the Bartow area would be greatly appreciated, I'm tryin to impress my GF on my fishin ability. :rolleyes:

2. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

Pferox69, I fished Saddle Park a few times but it's been 5 or 6 years. My buddy John McDaniel was on his knees in high grass at the water's edge, messing with his rods, when a huge gator started zeroing in on him. Being close to dark, he must have mistook him for a dog. When I yelled to get his attention, the gator had moved to with-in 10 feet of shore and was eyeballing him with bad intentions. Needless to say, when my redneck buddy "looked at that big ole gator looking at him", well I'll put it to you this way, "you think Michael Jackson can do a Moon walk!!!!" He took himself off the menu by hauling himself up that bank quick! I'm pretty sure he had a HASMAT incident in his pants from the excitment..LOL..Don't remember if we caught any cats that night but we sure had something to talk and laugh about....Ray

3. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    Ray,
    I think I met your gator, except he's about 9 feet now. :happ-big:

4. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

Pferox69, have you tried Turkey Creek Reservoir (Edward Menard Park). Very nice place to catch Channel Cats in the 1 to 5 pound range. I fish it pretty regular with my grandson. If you want to make the drive over sometime, give me a yell, we'll take the boat out and try to catch up a fish fry....Ray

5. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    No Ray, I haven't heck, I'm still tryin to fish around Polk County.

I will look into checkin it out tho, and will give ya a hollar when I do for sure.

6. dudly2252000

dudly2252000 New Member

stump and pferox thank you very much for the help i am trying to plan a trip to dun's creek this weekend, gonna try middle lake tonight. i'll post my results here of the trip!. i have tried the withlacooche river, darn chopique's(mudfish) as we call them in louisiana were there by the numbers i think i caught 6 of them in an hour, oh yeah and a small bullhead. The water was very dark and murky is it always like that?, i'll try it again soon there was a lot of nice current tho. well you guys have a great day and thanks again for the information hopefully i'll have some nice cats to report. gl to you all!!!!

7. Stump Bumper

Stump Bumper Guest

Good luck, if you do any good let us know....Ray

8. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    My GF and I went to Saddle Creek Park in Lakeland last Sunday, caught two keeper channels, and threw back alot of medium blue gills. Not bad for this highly fished park.

On Monday, I went to Polk Lake, my bro in law owns alot of it so it isn't fished much. Caught a bunch of em all about 3 or 4 lbs, kept 6 total, and one more that was 24 inches long, pretty good fighter too.

All were caught on chicken, and beef livers and night crawlers.

My new avatar is that fish, it is the biggest I have caught since movin down here in Florida that I have a pic of, I think a cought a 25 or 28 inch blue which would be my biggest down here.
    One of these days I'm going to invest in a scale. :rolleyes:

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    try lake parker on memorial on the fishing pier by next to power house.
    in winter time the cats will stack up in the warm water .the best bait would be chicken liver with garlic salt.also try the tenorroc pitts out off old combee road,these spots should be in your area if you're fishing saddle creek which has some good b@$$ fishing in it good luck.....

10. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    Thanks Jfinch,
    I fish Parker quite a bit, and am waitin for it to cool off to try the pier.
    In my job, I deal with Tenroc alot, and have seen alot of fish caught there, but for some reason. I have never fished there.

11. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    is the gun range still open??

12. Pferox69

Pferox69 New Member

State:
    Bartow, Florida
    Don't know about one at Lake Parker, but the one at Saddle Creek is, and has been pretty buisy recently, must be sightin in for huntin season comin up.

13. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    yeah i bet, that's why i was wondering... thanx..