Pole to match up with Penn 220 GTO

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catsrking, Mar 16, 2006.

1. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Picked up the Penn reel and am looking for advise on what would be a good rod to park it on. This year I am wanting to go after some larger fish. There are many different brands and styles of rods designed for bigger cats, not sure which way to go. All suggestions would be appreciated.

2. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I use a ugly stik 7' catfish pole works great but it is up to you but this is the one i recomened

3. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If im not mistaken thats a larger reel, you need to match it with a larger rod. I recommend a Ugly Stick Tiger MH its about $56, also those Quantum Big Cats are some good rods I heard, their a little cheaper you can get one for about $37.

4. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you for the input. Think I have it narrowed down to Ugly Stick Tiger Rod, Gator Tail, Basspro Catmaxx or Whoopin Stick. Gonna check 'em all out.

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is that penn 220 GTO a new reel for this. I saw where they were making for freshwater it said for Blues & stripers If this is there new reel let us know haow you like it.

6. scuffy

scuffy New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I also have a new Penn GTO220. I put mine on a Shakespere Big Game
    It fit well with heavy action. I can't wait to try it out.

Steve

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I wouldn't put one on a whupping stick, they arent any were near stiff enough their more suted for an abu 6000. the tiger :thumbsup: The other two you mentioned I havent seen before.