Pole loading up

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Big Russ, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I`ve read many posts here about letting your pole "load up" When useing circle hooks.Are there any videos out there that show this technique? How long do you wait after the initial strike? Do you give any slack while the fish takes the bait.
    I`ve never used cicle hooks but want to swich so as to not have fish swallowing hooks.
    Thanks for any insight Russ

2. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Danny,I have seen these pics before,I think in the library,and found them to be some help.
    I guess the main question I`m not sure of is
    (When I`m fishing a tight line and the pole doubles over with the first strike,do I give any slack, or just leave it alone and wait untill I think its good & hooked by itself)
    Or do you fish a semi-loose line and wait for it to load up?
    Forgive me if these seem like dumb questions but I`ve never had anyone
    to teach me these things about proper catfishing before.
    Thanks Russ

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    russ,
    don't touch the rod untill You are sure the fish is hooked

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just remember, when using circle hooks "You Can't Set The Hook" the fish has to do it. They work great for those hard and, fast freight train type hits but, they ain't worth diddly when the are not running with the bait. This is the reason I no longer use them.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when the pole starts to bend crank on the handle till the pole is bent pretty good then pick the pole up and start reeling.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    in fisherman big cat safari video shows this, its a pretty good catfish video. it also shows how to throw a large castnet. you should be able to get it on sale on vhs from the in fisherman website.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Russ,
    First of all let me tell you, there are no dumb questions, just dumb people who refuse to ask them. Second, let me tell you, I've used circle hooks for the past two years now and I love them. When I'm fishing for channels, I have a spinning reel on one rod, and a baitclicker on the other. When I get a bite on the spinning reel, I just let that rascal dance that rod in the holder for a few seconds and then ease the rod out and start to reel. I don't miss many fish. If I leave the clicker on, the other reel, when I get a bite, I just ingage the reel, let it load up and dance a bit then start to reel in my prize.
    You might miss a few fish at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be catching fish like a pro.
    Good luck! Keep your lines tight.
    Sparky

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Russ, when tight lining whether using a circle, J or kahle hook, when your rod is bent and the tips slapping the water the fish is most diffidently on.
    The only time you have to worry about setting a hook or not, is when you are free lining. Even then it really doesn’t matter what kind of hook you are using since the best thing to do in any case is to wait for constant pole bending pressure (loading up) before fighting back (setting hook). Think of it this way, a hook wont penetrate unless there is enough resistance. A free line doesn’t offer any, only a tight line does, in your holder or your hand. Another thing about tight lines, the term doesn’t mean tight enough to strum a tune on, merely that your reel is engaged with some amount of drag set, how much line you have drooping when fishing from the bank will affect it to some degree. If you have too much slack and the fish grabs the bait and runs with a circle hook the end result would be the same as setting the hook when he runs out of line. So after casting, I reel in till I feel the pressure from my sinker, when using a slip or three way rig, the length of your leader will give enough freedom for the fish to hook it’s self.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The term "loading up" just means the rod has a good bend in it, and you know the fish is moving off and you can feel him pulling hard. Same thing if the rod is in a holder, the rod is bent over almost double and you can see the fish working you gear. Thats loaded up, LOL. You can't get to that point with slack in the line. So just tightline in a holder and wait till the rod is bent over and pumping and the circle will be set. If you are holding the rod wait till the rod bends real hard then slowly start reeling and pulling back on the rod.

10. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Jack. lots of good info,I appreciate it.
    Russ

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Jack U da man.

12. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Its kinda tricky sometimes to wait for the rod to completely "load" up. I have an ichy trigger finger!:lol: Its really difficult for me especially when fishing live bait for Flatheads. Flatheads tend to hit the bait first, then come back to eat it. I've experienced times when they carry it a couple of feet, then drop it. Then about a minute or two later (sometimes longer) BAM!!!! He's got it. You will have to get used to it. Im still in the process. Good luck! :cool2:

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    HEY RUSS, PUT YOUR RODS IN ROD HOLDERS & KEEP YOUR LINE TIGHT. LEAVE YOUR REEL ENGAGED AND JUST WAIT FOR YOUR ROD TO BEND OVER AND TOUCH THE GROUND OR WATER DEPENDING ON WHETHER YOUR FISHING FROM THE BANK OR FROM A BOAT. AFTER FISHING WITH CIRCLES FOR AWHILE YOU'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN TO PICK THE ROD BUT UNTIL THEN DON'T PICK UP THE ROD UNTIL IT'S BENT AND STAYS BENT. I LEARNED THIS METHOD FROM RAMROD AND IT WORKS GOOD FOR ME. I HOPE IT HELPS YOU.

14. Justin_Sane

Justin_Sane New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Let the clicker go off on your reel with a circle hook or not. when the pole is bouncin ya got a fish...