Pole limits

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JimmyJonny, Sep 25, 2007.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Can anyone tell me why shore fisherman can only have two lines out at any one time. Its hard enough to find fish and using only 2 poles to locate fish doesn't help any.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Read your regulations closely.

In Missouri it states 2 UNLABELED poles. Thinks thats on the Mississippi river, might be 3 elsewhere. Doesn't matter. Just wanted to point out that you might find similiar language in your state's regs.

If so, put your name on them and fish as many as you want up to the MAXIMUM.:0a26:

3. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Game fish may be caught with only hook and line, fly rod, casting rod, pole and line, or hand line. Not more than 2 of these devices may be used by any fisherman at the same time, except when fishing in a boat. An unlimited number of lawful fishing devices may be used if every occupant of the boat (who normally be required to have a fishing license) possesses a valid fishing license.

I would have been really mad at myself if I read it wrong and fished two poles all these years, lol. I checked a this is exactly what it states.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They haven't ever said why its that way but maybe its so a person can't take up a whole bank, keeping others from fishing there.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I don't know why it's that way. But I once received a warning from a DNR officer on it. I was fishing on our peir at Greenwood a few years back with my daughter, I only had out 2 poles and 2 for my daughter. Well my daughter ran inside to the toilet for a moment, and guess who pulled up while she was gone. He didn't seem to believe my story until she came back out. But you can get limb line tags or set hooks. Go figure. I still don't understand, I can see a limit but maybe 6 rods or even 4 would be better.

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Its even more annoying if you are catching your bait. You can only have one other line out while catching your bait. I've been trying to contact them (DNR) all day but all I could do is leave messages. I'm also making sure I can use any size bass for bait. As far as I know most lakes its legal except on Lakes: Slade's, Wylie, Marion and, Moultrie. I only fish from Jocassee to Hartwell including other ponds in between.

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    When crappie or hybrid fishing in Georgia lots of people "spider rig" using 6 to 10 poles at different depths . you still have to observe the bag limits, just get there quicker

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I suspect the reason may be to control the number of licenses issued. Sometimes there are whole 'families' fishing from some spots. If there were no limits it would be easy for only one or two licensed fishermen to claim all the poles, even when there are several more adults sitting around who state that "I'm not fishing, officer. I'm just watching." Also might be helpful to keep someone from taking up an entire section of the bank. :wink:

9. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    To my surprised DNR called with my answers. One was about using bass ( or any other game fish ) for bait. It is legal but you have to abide to the bass limits where you fish. So basically I can use 10 where I fish. There are very few places where you can't do this in South Carolina. I believe I posted them earlier. As far as the 2 pole limit they said, " That law was passed many, many years ago and I have no idea while its in effect. For years now DNR has been trying to have it changed but its stuck in legislation". I thought I would pass this info on to yas .

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they just changed it here from 2 poles to 3 with the purchace of a 3rd pole licens not as dumb as the law your talking about 2 by land unlimited by boat @#$!@#$ that that is stupid.

11. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    I put my set up in my profile. I'm out for many hours so I like to be well set up. Nice part about the chair is you can adjust it easy, hold tackle and keep the dirt off the bottom of my coffee cup, lol. Notice the bobbers hanging from the line between to top 2 eyes ? Its a old school trout method of detecting hits. If it moves side to side its always from the wind. Up or down movement and it always a fish, ok, or a turtle. Its attached to the line by a thin wire that runs through it. I also can attach weight to the bottom of the wire to keep the line tight. This works excellent in tandem with circle hooks. I use 2 buckets. One for the live bait/net and another that has a lid with wood screwed to it for cut bait. I got a cooler for drinks/liver/donuts, 2 lanterns and my chair. I get pretty relaxed come 4am if it slows so I tie my poles down to make sure the stick around if I doze off for a few..Hope this give you land catters some cool ides of your own.

12. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Sorry all.....I put that post in the wrong place.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jim I would check size limits on bass before using them. In the upstate there is not a size limit but from wateree lake down I think there may be a 10 or 12 inch size limit on bass before they can be kept.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it is two here in ohio. a bunch of b/s!! not getting into the ethic end of this, but you can run trotlines i think 3 with 50 hooks on each. jugs etc. and go home to your family...but i can fish two poles? doesn't make much sense to me!!!??...rollo

15. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    We do not have a pole limit in Texas just a hook limit of 100 hooks. I dislike pole limits, just another way for them to get our money. What difference does it make if I use one pole are ten to catch my daily bag limit. The difference is they have something else to right a fine for. I wish more people would take time to write you law makers and express you opinions. They bend to pressure, if enough is applied.

16. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Yea I've got them posted in post #8. The size limit for those Lakes are 12". Can't keep any large mouth on Lake Wallace. Slade's Lake only keep two. The rest ten. But thanks for looking out for me.

17. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    is that the rule!hell i hope not i always have 3 or 4 poles in the water

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Two is the legal limit for bank fish in SC.