Pole limit

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Deftones2015, May 15, 2009.

1. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ohio has a 2 pole limit? I just read the regulations and it says that a person is only allowed 2 lines whether they are hand held, tied to a pole or on a rod and reel? Am I reading the correct thing or am I reading something else? I know I see most cat fisherman using 3 or 4 poles at a given time.

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    You read it right. 2 poles/lines maximum in the water here in the buckeye state.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    2 poles and 3 hooks per line

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are you at a paypond???

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see it all the time, but the limit is two. The DNR is talking about raising it to three. There is nothing stopping you from using as many as you want just be prepared to give up your extra units if you get caught. :wink:

6. RiverFever

RiverFever New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats the way I see it.If the dnr come down my cheapest rig standing on the bank is going to have to fall on that grenade.

7. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    would be nice if ohio dnr would let us use 3 at a time

8. Deftones2015

Deftones2015 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree I think 2 is a little low. I know I like to throw a couple tight lines in while fishing for bait or what not.

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i think private ponds and paylakes are different on the limit ?? i said i think

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I do know that some pay ponds will let you pay for extra poles, not sure if that is legal or not. I fish the Ohio 99.9% of the time, so I just bit the bullet and bought a KY license on top of the OH license, sucks spending the 50$, but good to have the piece of mind knowing that if they do check me out, I keep all my gear...lol Plus I go down to Louisville whenever I can, and I think a 7 day license is like 30$!!!!! Be nice to get checked out every time I hit the water, have been ask for a license one time and that was when I was on the bank before I had a boat...I remember we were throw netting some shad on the LMR one time, DNR walked up, and just shot the bull for a while, said he didn't need to see the license, even had us follow him down the road to a pond that was over flowing with shad...LMAO!!!!:eek:oooh:

11. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Maybe the D N R will consider selling a $5.00 3rd pole stamp to go on the license, Not that I want to give money away but that would benefit them as well as ourselves.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jack ... it would depend on the GP and the court he was working out of ... for instance when I was a GP the court said if someone was cited for using more than 2 rods then we were to sieze all of the rods. By doing that you had evidence that they were in fact using more than 2. Our court then usually confiscated the tackle and it was turned over to the boy scouts or some other youth organization. So don't count on only loosing a cheap rig ... you might loose it all ...... Garry-

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wouldn't that just make your day! lol
    You know,years ago I ask a Game Protector about catching a fish on my buddy's pole when he was asleep. He told me in no uncertain terms to wake him up or let it be and not get it myself. I would be in violation of the rod limit. Then I thought how could he know which units were mine? Now it seems far fetched to me that this scenario would play itself out in the wee hours of the night, but stranger thoughts have run through my mind while fishing in the dark while doing some serious supposing.. lol....:eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

14. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just fish the Kentucky side of the Ohio River. The way the law reads, you follow Kentucky laws when fishing from their bank even on an Ohio license. And Kentucky has no pole limit.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true. I have to follow OH's laws when I'm fishing over there. 2 pole limit stinks and so does the 3 hook rule. I hate to have to cut my Sabiki rigs down to 3 hooks when fishing the dam on that side but its better than a ticket.:roll_eyes: It just takes a little longer to get enough skipjack to last for a while...:smile2:

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

It's like gambling, you may have more chance to catch fish, but be willing to pay the price if John WCO comes down.:cool2:

17. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    payponds are private property right? i think thats why you can use more.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No doubt about it Rick,:wink:

19. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some paylakes even charge you an extra fee to use more than 2 poles. Besides, if you are in the right spot, you would be hard pressed to keep up with more than 2 poles. I can see a definate advantage to more poles.... try differents baits on each pole to see what a fish wants.. each pole in different areas of a hole. In a paylake... more poles = a better chance at winning the tourney.

20. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea there is a guy where I fish at the GMR he uses about 5 poles every time he fishes. Next time I see him I'm going to tell him if he knew how to fish he wouldnt be able to keep that many in the water. Then I'm calling the law.