Pole for bride fishing

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by zebtmoney, Jun 20, 2008.

1. zebtmoney

zebtmoney New Member

State:
    iowa
    Should i just get a cat pole from walmart for bride fishing?

2. sadam

sadam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You get what you pay for.

3. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Im not sure what Bride fishing is but Wal-Mart carries some good rods. Some are as cheap as 20 dollars. You may say "you get what you pay for" but ive had a rod from wal-mart for 4 years. Caught 45+ pound asian carp, 58" sturgeon, 40+ pound flathead, grass carp, spoonbill, etc, Never had a problem with it. Ive also bought some more high dollar rods and have had problems with them. Then theres some high dollar rods that i love. So im gonna have to say i disagree with the "you get what you pay for" theory. What i would say is if you want to support your local baitshop then buy it from them. It may be expensive but it will help them out. If you are in a bind and short on money then wal-mart will have what you're looking for. Good luck!!

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    well Dakota it all matters where your fishing, what your fishing for, how far out you want to place a bait, how heavy is the current,ect.

my motto on the matter is if your going to go....GO BIG, I would recommend a heavy action rod for reason being the most annoying thing while fishing on a bridge is when your rod is just bouncing all around due to a flimsey rod. A heavy action rod granted you have a heavy enough sinker should sit pretty tight. I know when im bridge fishing for channel cat I use my spinning rods with a bell on the tip, the heavy action rods allow you to do this without getting excited every twenty seconds thinking you have a bite due to the bell going off. If you have seen the Shakspear sturdy sticks before, they will give you a good sense of what kind of rod you would be happy with, I have a couple buddys on here that love em, and for the price you cant beat them. If you have anymore questions on bridge fishin dont be affraid to post on the bridge threads there are guys on there daily that would be happy to help.

5. zebtmoney

zebtmoney New Member

State:
    iowa
    I picked a pole up at walmart spent 35 dollars, its not to bad when i was there i bought one for crappy, it seems horrible so far but cat pole not to bad

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Dakota -

Not sure what kind of pole you picked up at Walmart, but I would offer the advice that the reel have a solid drag (clickers are nice, but not necessary) If the reel does not have a clicker you might want to use the little bells that clip on the tip of your rod...

Tight lines!

7. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I've never bridge fished so i dont know anything about it. How come you use the bells. That way you can hear the bell when you get a bite while youre slamming beer and cooking steaks on the grill? :smile2:

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa

The idea is that by using something to elevate sound you can more easily tell if you have a bite. With traffic, city noise, and other distractions, I wanted to offer Dakota some advice that would lead him in the right direction....

I am never more then 10 ft from my poles at any given time and it can be hard to hear them clicking even from that distance, so why not give myself the added advantage of bells to assist me right?

Also the bells are used to assist in telling the difference between debris dragging your bait and the next state record!

9. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Definitly makes sense! Wasn't trying to sound rude, just havent ever used one and wondered why you did. But now i know why. I know if i was Drinking beer and grilling steaks id use a bell. :big_smile:

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Just don't tell your wife about it.......LOL

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA Grilling and drinking beer... might have to try that on the bridges this summer, doesn't sound half bad....

12. zebtmoney

zebtmoney New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hell yea sounds like ice fishing dranking and frying walleye, i try to hit up lake of the woods every year on the boarder of Canada thats some crazy fishing

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Don't really need a pole for BRIDE fishing, it's the bait that matters...Tie a 2 carat diamond ring on a hand line, toss it out and you will catch WAY more brides than you need..........:smile2::wink:

14. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ok but you still need a pole.

15. Catfish_Calvin

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Hey Gavel just seen that you live in Des Moines and work at Wells Fargo. I think 90% of the people i know in Des Moines work at Wells Fargo. Lol. Do you know Matt Wilcox?