pole fishing for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by outdoors1988, Aug 10, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was out cat'n and i have a question. Will a gar take you bait and run and when you go to set the hook nothing is their. I did catch some but this happened about 10 times and thier was gar everywhere but i was fishing 30'.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yep, thats probably what they were.:sad2:
    Ticks you off, dont it?:angry::smile2:

3. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh yea you think you got a big one and nothing:crazy:

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen where Gar will run with my bait and then I try reel them in and watched them come all the way to the boat with my bait in it's mouth and then drop it once it saw me. They are a pain. Look for them to just barely break the surface with their backs, they almost look like a large snake coming to the top. When I see that I am out of there. Every once in a while a hook will land just right and you will hook one, I prefer them off the hook though.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yup gar are master bait snatchers,they are some sneaky buggers.thats exactly what it sounds like it was.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like a classic gar run.I hate em with a passion!:angry:

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never caught a gar, but im sure with all the jagged teeth they have it would be fairly easy to chew it off.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    usually for this reason a quick look at your baitfish will usually tell you what was biteing. gar will punture or shread your bait a cat will smash and descale it. holy bait, gar. bait missing alot of scales, cat.:wink:

9. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I never have done well when Gar were around. They scare all the fish away, the old timers say.
    On the other hand, if you see one and can get it to bite, they are a fighter to catch. Fun to bowfish for....