Pole beans

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Kutter, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have been planting pole beans for over 30 years. Mostly, I have planted Kentucky Wonder. A few years back, I switched to Kentucky Blue, a hybrid of Kentucky Wonder & Blue Lake. They produce a fine bean and have much less strings. However, strings are still a lot more than most any variety of bush beans. Do any of you know of a pole bean that doesn't have the strings too bad? I experimented growing them in with the corn this year. Turned out great! Corn is definitely showing benefits of the beans nitrogen input into the soil. The beans are up to the tassels and making plenty of harvest. Unless something changes, I will continue this every year, just wanting a better pole bean.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont grow em yet but will next year. Im curious on how you have them mixed with your corn. Can you post a picture? or explain how you have em. Are the corn rows further apart then normally?

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I tried growing them with the corn before. One year, I waited till the corn was picked, then planted the beans, not one came up. Last year, I planted the beans when the corn was waste high, not one came up. This year, I planted the beans right along with the corn, the bean are going crazy and so is the corn. I planted the corn in the same style as always. 10-12 inches apart, in rows 3 ft apart. I have 9 rows, 60 ft long this year. Looking for at least 800 ears of corn and so far the beans have been picked twice, four days apart. We froze up 5 quart bags the first time, 12 the second time. I expect them to keep producing till mid september. I don't have a close up photo yet.