Polarkraft ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by gtva, Nov 21, 2007.

1. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Just looked at the Spotsman series boat, and really liked the looks of it. Couple questions, the dealer I visited had every boat rigged with 50-60hp or bigger motors. As the hull weight and design of this boat is similar to most other semi-v aluminum boats, wouldn't a 25 or 40hp motor be sufficient if speed is no issue? To me, the 2 to 3 thousand dollars I can save by going with a smaller motor is worth more than the 10-15 mph I would lose on the water. Also, what would be a reasonable price for a dealer to rig a boat with a motor I already have?
    Thanks, Greg

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I kinda like the bigger is better on motors for my boats. But if money is an issue, i think the little ones would work. I like the bigger motors for a couple different reasons, but speed really isn't the main reason (although it is fun to go fast). When you put a big motor on it, you dont have to run it as hard, saving wear and tear on the motor, and sometimes saving fuel. Also, planing: If you add more weight than you usually would (maybe add an extra person or two for some reason), than with the bigger motor you are more likely to plane instead of having to shift weight to the front to get the bow down. My little 14' jon boat has a 25hp, and will plane out at half throttle, where as a smaller motor might hafta be full throttle to plane out. i dont usually run my motor full throttle because i have plenty of extra umph. Like I said speed wasn't the main issue for me, but where i boat, you wanna make sure you can outrun that storm that just popped up outta no where, and get back to the boat ramp before things get nasty (lightning + aluminum boat = no fun), just something to keep in mind.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe in this case, the engineers of that particular boat believes you get optimal performance with motors in the 55 - 60 HP range. If your willing to sacrifice the performance, I imagine a 10 HP motor would move the boat, but your not gonna plane the boat. In the 25 t0 40 HP range, you'll probably have to open the throttle up to get to a plane (if even then) and keep the throttle open to maintain the plane. Dealers will charge you whatever they can to install your own motor as they loose money on the commission for selling the new motor. Then it depends upon if it is tiller steered, console mounted steering wheel, or front mounted stick steering. Each mount will vary in price. If you have a console mounted steering wheel for the old motor, you may have problems with placement in the boat - there may not be room to mount a console. Best bet is just go to a dealers and ask, or find someone like BubbaKat or MarkJ in our area - they are out there, you just gotta find them. LOL

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Go with what they recommend other wise you will kick your self later. The dry weight of the 20 footer is 1400 pounds. Lot of weight for a little motor to push once you start adding you and all your gear. I guess if your looking at the 16 footer a 30hp would work. Still like the others have said you are going to loose performance.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Best to take what is offered .Even if you think you have more motor than you'll ever need don't bet on it. What happens if you get ancher hung up and you need a little more power to get it to come loose.Or if you find your self in a jam have to make a quick exit your gonna need that exra power. just a couple things to chew on . Been there on both of these and it ain't no fun when you don't have the power or speed to get out of a JAM.

6. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Thanks for the input. This will be my first new boat and I'm trying to cover all the bases before making a final choice. I have to stay with a light enough boat to pull with a Toyota Tacoma, and have to stay below 15 grand total on the boat. Also must be comfortable enough for my dad to fish all day.
    Thanks,
    Greg

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just went and looked up the PolorKraft Sportsman.Its only showing the 18 ft.Is that the one your looking at?If so thats a good looking boat.Plenty of room. my neighbor has a Polorkraft and when I fished with him I used to take my lawn chair set it up in front of his boat and I was very comfortable all day long. Something to think about for your dad on those all day fishing trips you all have planed. Just a thought.

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been around boats and fishing all my life. I've seen a lot of people wishing they would've bought a little bigger motor. Never saw anybody wishing they had a smaller one. I know about budgets because I'm definitely on one, but think long and hard before underpowering your boat. It's something you will use for a long time.
    Sam

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What size boat is this?
    I know I have a 25 Hp Yamaha 4-stroke on a 17'7"" war-eagle that is 54" wide. It pushes it, but drinks gas like crazy. I get a little better then 4 miles per gallon where when the motor was on a 1452 flat john boat it was 11.9 MPG.
    Now a 40 or 50 I would get 9 or 10 MPG. and at the price of fuel you need to look at that.
    Also I am 230 lbs and add some one even under 200 lbs and the boat will only run out at say 17 or 18 MPH. And just does not do that great. It works but not good.
    You need to look at say an extra 4 or 5 MPG and if you plan on take along extra people or weigh you will need the extra motor. Please do not go under rated and regret it later on like a lot do.
    The only reason I am running the 25 is i had it.
    Now have you though of a used motor to run for a few years? That is what I did on my new 2072 when I bought it in 02 Ran the old motor for 4 years and then bought a new motor.
    Pete

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  11. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    The 17' would be the most likely, followed by the 18'. I have a 70hp Johnson Seahorse that runs well that I could put on the 18'. The same dealer has the Riddick, and it is indeed a nice boat, but more than I can pull with my truck.
    Greg

12. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Are you talking about the 1886? I just bought a brand new 1886 SE last year. I love that boat. I had a 90 hp put on mine and it really moves along. I think a 25 or 40 hp motor on that boat would be to small. The boat weighs about 1,200 pounds. There is a lot of room in the boat. It's very comfortable. You can get that boat in very shallow water. The only problem I have had was the rivets that hold the livewell and floor have come loose or completely off. It's easy to fix with longer rivets. I take mine in the ocean so the extra beating might have contributed to them coming off.

13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    One thing I forgot to mention was with the double tube construction around the rim, you will have a hard time mounting rod holders. I had to look around for rod holders. They weren't what I wanted but they work. I also put a couple deck mounted rod holders in the floor in the stearn and converted the rear seat holder into a rod holder that can be changed back easily.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My brother bought a new 16ft Seaark with a 20hp merc 4stroke he spent under 15g and set it up with new saets .... it is a nice boat and does well

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've a 14 ' polarcraft.
    When I bought it it had a 25horse evinrude.
    If pushed it just fine.
    My arthritic shoulders forced me to get an electric start with steering.
    Its a 40 horse west bend. I had the tech detune it because I wasn't used to how quick it was.Didn't want to get into trouble in close quarters.
    Anyway it planes out just fine and after I have him tune it back up i don't think it will give me any trouble.