Polar Kraft CGF-1444

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Pogo, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've been offered a Polar Kraft model CGF-1444 hull (age unknown, but I'm guessing around 1980) for what appears to be a reasonable price, but ... I know absolutely nothing about this brand.

It appears water tight and the only damage I can see is a dented bow and bent bow eye from being jammed against the trailer stop .. not tough to repair.

The transom, however, gives me some concern. It is aluminum inside and out and has some "give" when I press on it frimly. I figure the transom was lined with something (probably wood) which may need replacing, but ... again, it may have been made that way.

If anyone has any familiarity with this model and has any suggestion on items I should check out, I'd very much appreciate hearing them.

2. kaskas

kaskas New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know much about them however a buddy of mine just bought an 18 footer that was rivited hull. He is a duck hunter primarily. It had some dents and a really weakened bow that had been reinforced with a woodden plank. After replacing some leaky rivets he had a friend weld an aluminum plate to the bow. Looks really good and sound.

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the note, Kaskas ...

I agree that these are some pretty tough boats. Since I've gotten interested in this one, I've been told all sorts of good stories about the type ... but still nothing on this particular brand.

I've also had no luck in trying to determine if the transom has a wood inner core. It probably does, but I'd sure like to know before taking on a replacement project.

A pro welder friend verified that the bow damage is fairly easy to repair. I get to pull the forward deck (no fun there either) and he says he can make it look new, but be even stronger for really reasonable money.

But ... my main concern is still the transom. An email and a phone call to Godfrey Marine (Polar Kraft manufacturer) for model info was a waste of time. All they wanted to do was to sell me a new boat and wouldn't even tell me what years this model was produced.

Oh, well ... the search continues ... :)

Thanks again ...

4. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    O.K. ... I found the info I needed and bought the boat.

It's a 14 ft (14' 4" actually) 1981 Polar Kraft modified vee aluminum jon boat (made at the old Olive Branch, MS plant - before the move to Elkhart, In) in reasonable condition (no leaks and only minor damage to the bow due to a "stupid human" trick).

After figuring there just HAD to be something wrong with this deal, I couldn't find anything worth complaining about ... so I bought it .. on a trailer (the wheels even turn!!!) for $400.

I don't actually NEED this boat since I have an Alumacraft 12 ft semi-V skiff that fits my personal fishing style perfectly, but ... lotsa people seem to want to go with me (cute boat and I catch fish) and, though it motors quite well with two people, 6 gal tank, trolling battery, tackle box, cooler and misc "stuff" ... (17 knots on the GPS at WOT - 19+ when I'm alone) whatever you want, better be within reach cause you ain't gonna move around much.

Then too, I only take this wee skiff out beyond the surf line (when the stripers are running) on very calm days (sea state 0 to 1) which doesn't happen here all that often.

In the Polar Kraft, I won't have any problem with sea states around 2 (typical day) and the available interior room is amazingly more than my Alumacraft.

The most pressing problem I've now created is whether to sell the 12 ft skiff or not ... it IS a cute boat and reflects lotsa blood, sweat, tears along with bringing lotsa great "on the water" memories every time I look at it.

But ... Now the fun begins ... :)

5. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    By the way ...

My prior and unsuccessful contact attempts with Polar Kraft (Godfrey Marine) can't seem to be explained, but, since then, Terri (in the Customer Service department), has gone the extra mile in indentifying this boat, even to the point of sifting through production records from the old Mississippi plant before the buy out.

Just thought to correct a previous impression ...

Fair's fair.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know about the older ones but I have a new polar kraft MV 1885 HF model. it is a great boat,all welded with a lifetime guarantee. and it is unsinkable, or so they say. I don't think you could find a better boat in it's class, war eagle, triton and others do a lot of adversting but their aluminum boats are no better and none of them comes as well equiped as my polar kraft That I have seen. I think polar kraft gives you more in equipment because they don't have to pay thoes big million dollar advertising bills.

About the wood, most people seem to think having wood in the transom is a bad thing when really if you have no leaks wood makes it stronger.

Just my thoughts, but I could be wrong.

Danny

7. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Danny ...

No, I agree with you, a wood transom liner does add both strength and rigidity to the boat. I just didn't know if this one had been mad with a transom liner .. some aren't and, being skinned on both sides, I couldn't see inside.

But, I have now pulled the transom inner and found a plywood inner transom core ... rotted, of course...

Today I'll start making a new one of marine ply and by this time next week, she'll be ready to go.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    good for you, a man of action. It sounds to me like you will come up with a good and safe boat.

Danny

9. Opelousasrob

Opelousasrob New Member

State:
    Texas

What are sea states ????????:confused2: