Polar Craft Boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by MRR, May 6, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    what Do You All Know About Polor Craft Boats ?are They Any Good ? My Neighbor Say's They Are A Cheap Made Boat.what Do You Think?

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doing a search on Polar Kraft, they look like a good boat. There factory is the largest family owned boat maker.(Godfrey Marine} Look impressive to me. If I could, I would take one out to try it.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I can't speak of the newer ones made by Godfrey but the older ones are battleships. I had a 1979 that I just sold last year. It's still an awesome boat.

4. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    The aluminum boats are fair-good, typical boat. We have had several of the fiberglass boats come in with leaks. it sucks though, i mean they are a nice designed boat and i can get one heck of a deal on one but i dont wanna pay for a boat that may not float:sad2:

5. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have a 2003 Polar Kraft Kodiac 168DC with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.

My wife & I LOVE it. I did alot of research on Lund, Crestliner & a few more. I actually went to a boat show in Omaha with my check book, to buy a Lund. A coworker was also at the show and pointed out the Polar Kraft & suggested I take a look at it first. I checked it over pretty good & told the dealer I would be in to see him later in the week.

The next day I called a long time friend that has owned a Marina for many years, & asked him if he knew anything about them. He told me that Godfrey if huge out east & has been making boats for a long time. He said they make good boats. He said that the Polar Kraft models are trying to get a foothold in the Midwest, otherwise known as 'Lund Country'. He said that he thought they are a good boat.

So, I went to the Polar Kraft dealer and was able to get mine for about 10,000 less than what I was going to pay for the Lund! As far as it being a 'cheap made boat', I'm not sure what he meant other than the price. I have had my boat through some very rough water at high speed and it held up as good as any other boat would. I haven't regretted buying the boat yet.

We have been very happy with the boat, though the local dealer was new and the first year, was not very responsive. I had a talk with him about what I was unhappy about, & he has been great since.

craigr

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My son bought the Polar kraft Jon boat.Model # J1668LW last year.He is running one of the last made Mercury 9.9 hp.2 cycle motors on it.The boat is rated for a 25 hp.motor,but he fishes at times in 10 hp.and under restricted areas.He takes me fishing in it and it runs and handles very good,even when loaded to its maximum limit of 975 lbs.The boat is very stable underway and at rest.At 291 pounds,the boat trailers well with his small truck and is easy to load and unload at the ramp.He claims to be well satisfied with it and glad that he bought it.I agree with him on it.So far,it seems to be a excellent buy.peewee-williams

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a new one last year. It's a MV1885HF with a 90 mercury and it is doing a great job. As for it being cheap, I don't know about that. It didn't feel cheap when I was filling out the check and as for the boat itself it has a lifetime warranty. I don't expect to need mine any longer that a lifetime.

In buying a boat it is most important to get out in different types and see how they fit when in use. I found after I bought mine that a different type boat would work better for me.

Don't get caught up thinking how nice this or that is sitting on the dealers lot. It is a different ball game on the water.

Danny

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :roll_eyes: MYSELF I BELIEVE IT IS A GOOD BOAT.I THINK WHAT HIS BIGGEST GRIP IS THE WIREING IN IT. SO FAR IT HAS SHORTED OUT THE BELIGE PUMP, THE LIVE WELL PUMP.THE HORN AND THE GAUGES. GOOD THING HIS BRO-IN-LAW KNOWS WIREING AND HE REWIRED IT FOR HIM. IT'S ONLY ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD AND THE COMPANY DID PAY TO REPLACE EVERYTHING. OTHER THAN THAT IT'S BEEN A GOOD BOAT IN THE WATER.BOUGHT IT AT A BOAT SHOW IN ST.LOUIS.THINK HE GAVE AROUND 14000.00 FOR BOAT 50HP YAMAHA AND TRAILOR.

9. discountufoparts

discountufoparts New Member

State:
    Maine
    Polar kraft boats are great. My buddy actually owns a Polar kraft dealership and I have been using them since they got the line. I think there a lot more solid than Lund which i used to run. Right now I am using the Polar kraft Kodiak 1910 Pro TC with a Yamaha F225 on it. Plenty of power and i like to go fishing even when its stormy and this boat doesn't rock much even with a couple of big guys on it fishing. I think they show it on this page its the 3rd one down Polar kraft Boats except mine is in camo.

10. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I can only comment on the aluminum polarkrafts, I have had one since back in the 70's and it has been a great boat. I know that the ones built in the 70's with the square tops on the sides are good old jon boats. the newer ones with the round tops on the sides were not nearly as well built.

11. lucescoflathead

lucescoflathead New Member

State:
    Western Pa.
    I bought a 2007 1468LW off a dealer in January of 2010. I wanted a 14' wide flat bottom jon for fishing in the Allegheny and Kiski rivers. I got a 75 Evinrude 9.9 with a 15 HP carb to run on it. The boat was brand new when I bought it.

I looked around and was ready to drive 500 miles to a dealer to pick up the same boat until I found this one. I haven't had it in the water yet as I have been modifying it. I'll let you know how it handles.

12. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i have a16' 99 polarkraft bass america(although very few bass are caught out of it.lol) i love it. i have a 50 hp on it and it will run 32 mph. my buddy bought it in 2000 and i bought it from him about 3w years ago. highly recomend

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im in the same frame of mind myself.i bought a 93 polar craft used and fished bass touniments out of it till 2001 and i loved it.could go in water a lot shallower than the fiberglass boats and ran plenty fast with a 70 horse on it.wish i had it back.

14. cully

cully Member

State:
    wisconsin
    I bought a PolarKraft MV1886 three years ago and equipped it with a 90HP Evinrude Etec and 24volt minnkota trolling motor,side scan sonar and another bow mount sonar and love it. Handles great on while on the Mississippi River even on the roughest days. With the 90 on it it will run about 39 on GPS with three people in it. The hull is very well built and havent had any warranty concerns. The tires that came on the factory trailer are very prone to flat spots when left parked for even a week so that is annoying. But great boat and would recommend to anyone.