Poke Salad

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Boomer, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok, I know there are some southern readers on here who know what Poke Salad is and how to prepare it.

My grandmother (who passed away), use to make it all the time, she added bacon in with it, and I loved it, but when she died so did the recipe.

Anyone have a good recipe?

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes Sir, I use poke salad Mixed in my greens. I love the spicy taste it adds. You can eat it by itself or mix it like I do. I walk around the neighborhood and find it in alleys. I like picking the small 8 inch or under sized plants. The ones with the light green leaves are best. They're tender and taste best. Here's the deal with poke salad. It's poisonous! You have to par-boil it before you can eat it. Thats why you don't want dark green leaves. And definately do not eat leaves from a plant thats going to seed. They're highly toxic. Before you mix it with greens, after cleaning, Add them to a pot of water and bring them to a rapid boil for about 10 minutes and then strain them. The toxins are washed out in the boil water. Add your favorite greens, Bacon, Salt pork, picnic ham, any greasy pork to flavor it. Season to taste. and boil till tender. I like garlic, onions, seasoning salt, lemon pepper, and crushed red pepper. But, you can experiment with your seasonings. Pressure cookers work best. They take only about a half of an hour to cook after it starts to perk. Gotta love em!
    Check out these hits fromyahoo search : http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=poke+salad&ei=utf-8&fr=chr-yie8

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The berries are poisonous too. And, if I remember right, they won't sprout and produce new growth until they have passed through a bird's digestive tract.