Poison Ivy

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Smuggo, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I got it bad...

Had a underground water line break and had to fix it. The leak was in a spot that was overgrown with weeds and apparently had some Ivy in it. Had to mow and chop roots to access the leak and the hole kept filling with water from the soaked ground.

So here I am, working in mulched poison ivy and soaking my arms in a muddy toxic soup.

My arms are 100% covered from armpit to fingertip.

I need relief...

I'm using the usual lotions, ointments and creams but was wondering if there are any remedys I might use to neutralize the toxins...Help?

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Tecnu is the best thing I've seen for that purpose Larry. They have a new variety, it's double strength (does cost twice as much too), but the regular works really well IMO. That sounds awful, I hope you get some relief soon buddy.

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i had a bad case of oak this year and ran across this product and it cleared it up quickly, it is a two part system one is a wash, the other is a lotion, it compose of tecnu wash and calagel lotion put out by calagel I got it at wallworld i think for like 15 bucks. also you can take benadrill to help relive the swelling and iching.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never had poison ivy but once, that was 4 years ago. I had been weed eating in shorts! I got it in my blood stream from an open cuts on my legs. I tried all the drug store stuff, nothing helped. Even called our doctor and he said try some things I had already tried. He said if I didn't get better to come in and he'd give me a cortisone shot. Then I read about Zanfel online, it sounded too good to be true. At that time only a few stores carried it. I had to drive to another town to get some but the first treatment gave me instant relief! It's a soap, just get in the shower and scrub the infected area. I later ordered me a good supply of Zanfel online... it has a 10 year shelf life. I will never be without Zanfel again.

Good luck!

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Honestly if you have it that bad... go to the Doc and get a shot. I get it bad sometimes putting up treestands. If it is not real bad I get Ivy wash, it is a gritty wash that is suppose to just wash the oil away. It sounds like a trip to the doc is in your future though:crazy: Hope you get too feeling better

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Technu or a trip to the dr for a shot ,also Benadryl helps ,if you can take it I cant cause it knocks me out:embarassed:

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    If you are that swollen, it will cause more problems internally as well and carrying extra weight from the swelling. When I was logging one summer with the construction crew I was with, one guy had it so bad that he eventually was hospitalized because of it!

Don't let it get out of control... apparently he was allergic to it more than just the common irritation/rash! If it is what I am picturing with sausage fingers... I'd say "Hello, Doc? Ya... I need a shot in the keester!"

8. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is going to sound old school. One of the best things you can do is ask around if anyone in your area is a soap maker. Plain old timey home made lye soap is the best at washing off poison ivy. I got some bars of soap and a soap recipe from an older retired surveyor's wife. Sometimes the old ways work best. Or failing that, lots of Benadryl and a steroid shot from the quack.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    First I heard of that. Lye soap was the only soap I used until I was 17 years old. That was when I went in the service. My mom made our soap. I never knew what dandruff was until I stop using lye soap. :wink:

Here's a link for Zanfel.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    old topic...i can get it just by looking at a picture of it:confused2:
    go to your local clinic and get a shot - 24hrs later and you're done

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Id say get a shot too. It just aint worth the suffering. I get poison ivy at least once a year, just the price I pay for hunting and fishing. I had a doc tell me this a few years ago, wash with dish soap. Any time I even think I got into it I use dawn dish soap or whatever cuts grease and it will either wash it off or not be as bad. Ive heard if you get to 30-40 minutes after you get it, it can be washed off. I carry a small bottle in my tackle box and my hunting sack.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Prednisone is an oral steroid that has always worked for me.

It requires a script...sounds like you need to see a doc.

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    anytime me or one of the kids get into some ivy i just take them to a public pool. public pools use almost twice the recomended on clorine in the water and it will dry that ivy up pretty quick.

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I would go to the doctor and get a shot.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would consider the quickest way to get complete relief. The shot is the answer. The itch will stop and will start to dry up in 24 hrs. :roll_eyes:

16. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Brother I say go for the shot. I was nite fishin one time and sat in a patch of ivy. By the next nite believe me I needed a BIG SHOT. I feel for you my friend. Hope you get over it soon.

17. hunterchet

hunterchet New Member

State:
    WV
    Go to the pharmacy and get a bottle of betadine solution. Shower and then pour the solution over the rash. Leave it on about a minute then wash it off. This will help dry the rash out a little faster.

18. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Had a bad case of it earlier this year. Used benadryl and some kind of cream it took a while put it healed.

19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    OMG! thats a horrible Poison ivy problem. the best way to kill the stuff (future reference) is to spray the leaves with dish water & soap to remove the oil coating. then when it dries hit it with a weed killer. benedryl helps with the itching since its a histemine reaction. when Id have it bad mom would make me take a bleech water bath to dry it up.