Poison Ivy Cure

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by YeeHaw, May 7, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I'm starting to get a little case of the ivy. Any suggestions on a fast cure? Other than Jewelweed, can't find any of it in the woods otherwise i would use it.

2. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    A shot (from a needle not a glass) of Benadryl if its bad

3. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    so i have to shoot up with benadril?

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Any more helpful hints?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wish you could get immunity from a blood transplant. I lay in the stuff and it don't bother me. Fortunate, as much as I like to fish. If it did work, I'd send you a pint. lol

6. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    not really shooting up. Got to your doctor and get one. It hurts but if your poison ivy is bad its worth it

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm even afraid to mention, but I've used it..... Gasoline rubbed on with a clean rag or paper towell to the afflicted area. it does 2 things.
    #1. Breaks down the ivy oil which can spread on everything and stay active for some time
    #2. Dries the skin out so you don't puss up as much. (the puss will have Ivy oil in it as well. (your bodys way of trying to break it down and flush out.) So Make sure to cover the area and wash frequently, espcially don't scratch ANYTHING else if you touch the affected area.

Make sure to wash your skin with soap and water immediatly after rubbing with gas so you dont recieve a chemical burn.
    and Make sure that you dont get near any open flame or sparks in the process.

Last note. If you have Poison Ivy in an area that is sensitive, Face or privates. I do not recommend this.

Oh yea
    you didnt hear if from me if you go to the Doc.
    good luck mate
    thanks
    Larry

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a doctors office will give you a steoroid shot (benadryl?)that will clear it up in a few days. if i get it really bad i'll go get one. other than that i'll use BLEACH (yes bleach!) to dry it up, just keep applying it as long as it is oozing.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I used to get it real bad when I was a kid. The doctor told me to put some bleach (Clorox) on it. It works.

By the way, Calamine lotion, the stuff that most everyone uses, does nothing for poison ivy or anything else. It's totally worthless as a medication for anything.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    CALOMINE IS A JOKE! GET SOME CLOROX!

11. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    My grandfather used to use epsom salt and baking soda mixed together to help dry it up, he said it pulls the ivy oil out. I personally have not ever had poison ivy, I can roll around in the stuff and never get affected by it.
    I've heard that clorox bleach works well.
    Hope you get over it soon.

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I keep a small bottle of dawn dish soap in my tackle box. Any soap that breaks down grease will break down poison ivy or sumac. Wash any areas that could have come in contact with the plant. If you get it within a half hour you have a good shot at getting rid of it before it starts.

If it starts bubbling up I use rubbing alcohol, helps keep the area clean from infection and helps dry it up. Ive tried Clorox, gas and diesel but nothing worked as good as dish soap and rubbing alcohol. If its real bad Ill wrap it loosely with wet towels, or if Im going somewhere Ill wrap it in gauze and keep it covered. Seems to smother it, also with the dish soap I like to let the suds dry over it leaving a film. And if its in sensitive spots or just too dang much too handle Ill break down and go to the doctork, for either a steroid pack or cortisone? shot. Usually have to go once a year.

Good Luck

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got Poison Ivy in my blood stream once, big time. I tried a lot of stuff...nothing help, found an article about Zanfel on the internet.. had to drive 100 miles to get some that day! One treatment cured my Poison Ivy. Since then I'm never without Zanfel, it has a 10 year shelf life. I think now most drug stores have it.

14. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thanks a lot guys for the greeat info. This morning i have to skip school because i woke up with my left eye almost sweeled shut. So i'm going to the doctor here in a few hours. Hope he gives me something good. Thanks again guys, you'll all get some rep.

15. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I had to soo much when I was a kid, my body naturally built up an immunity to it, so I never get it anymore

chris

16. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If it's not real bad, I use TecNu, an OTC medicine you rub it on for 2 minutes and then wash it off. If it's bad, I get a steroid shot. TecNu comes in a little white bottle, found right beside that worthless shelf hogging calamine lotion.

17. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    Get the herb Comfrey, smash the leaves and stems and rub them on the rash, it works.

18. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Just got back from the Doc. He gave me a steroid shot in my arm. He says it should be geting better soon. I t just takes a few days. Hope it gets taken care of. Thanks again for all the great info.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They actually came up with a vaccination against poison oak/ivy. It consisted of a series of several shots with an annual booster. Worked great for me. Then the guv'mint took it off the market. The reason I was told was, "it was removed from the market because it didn't work for everyone." I could still get the stuff by internet, but there's no way I'm going to inject anything I buy over the internet.

20. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    yeah, my Doc told me about that, and he said that it worked great, but then gov. took it off the market.