poison ivy blues

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Feb 21, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    Funny story last summer i took my unckle tom fishing and we caught a 12lb flathead during the day and he was hooked
    so the next time the weather was right i took him again with me
    he told we cant go anywhere there is poison ivy or oak
    i said ok i know of a place that is bare and nothing but sand
    who would have known that night that the wood we burned for our fire to keep the mosquitos away was full of poison something well uncle tom stood there letting the smoke hit him all night and well to make a long story short a day later he swelled up like nothing i have ever seen before his eyes swelled shut and he couldnt even close his hands
    well needless to say he has never went fishing with me again
    people always say how do you do it walk all over and not get it i say dont know lucky i guess
    my son is the same way and we dont know why but every year someone goes fishing with me and then ends up with the stuff and then the question is
    IS IT WORTH IT I SAY YES

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Never was allergic to poison ivy growing up. Good thing to as much wood as we cut, split and stacked. But there is a lot of people that seem to get it just by looking at it. Also have heard that the smoke off of it is worse than rolling in it.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i get it baaaad but i will wade a field of it to get to a good fishing hole... but ticks well thats another story !!!! i will live like a hermit to stay away from them!!!

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    talking about wading i hate wading 2 yrs ago i set bank lines wading in the river and ended up with leeches all over my legs and as far as ticks i hate them to

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    When I was a kid I was allergic to poision ivy.It does not seem like I am anymore.I do wear jeans 95% of the time in hopes of avoiding it and tick.I HATE ticks.Part of it I quess, sooh well.

6. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Your uncle was subjected to a hideous little blast from the past. In WWI,
    there was a variety of poison gas they called blister gas. It was made by
    extracting the sap from poison ivy and turning it into an aerosol. Throwing
    it on the fire does about the same thing. Just has a lower yield than the
    aerosol version. If he breathed in much of it, he'd have a range of symptoms
    sort of like a really bad case of pneumonia that might leave permanent
    scar tissue in his lungs. Lesson well learned and instructive for all of us!

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    actually he was in bed for about 2 weeks
    his eyes wept and his rash blistured and fluid came out of his rash it was pretty gross:crazy:

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Gus, Kyle---I am with ya' on the ticks. A 12 guage works wonders on them!!

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    doesent seem to bother me much Im glad !

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I never have been allergic to poison ivy or any thing else. To tell you the truth I don't even know what it looks likes since I have never needed to avoid it. I just pull the ticks off and go on about my business. They are absolutely the worse when mushroom hunting. Almost need a partner to pick you clean, kind of like monkeys:big_smile: