points vs coves

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 10, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what should i target points or coves, iv never fished coves, thinking its to far from deep water, am i wrong

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would say your missing out bro. when i fish reservoirs i set up in the mouth of backwater areas like a cove. the big boys roam the shallows for victims at night. they will venture way up in a bay or creek if food is there!

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes but shoulent i stay close to deep water, istead of fishing a long shallow cove, i would think the mouth of the cove would be beter,

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Repeat after me.... if the bait is shallow then the flatties will be shallow. I fish a bay that is 1/2 mile long and wide and we catch them 3 feet from the furthest shore from the opening.:wink:

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yes,shallow coves can be some of the best fishing,as shawn said.one of my rules fishing night is maybe 5 feet off the bank,and if i am using a bobber,depth set no more than a couple to three feet deep.

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    All we have around here is rivers with Flatheads. I like to set up upsteam from the cove and put a bait close to the bank and a bait in the mouth of a cove by the current

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would have to say you are missing out on some good fishing too. Like loanwizard said if the bait is shallow so are the flatties. i have caught most of my big flathead in shallower parts or rivers and lakes. Not necessiarly close to deep water either.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ive caught several flatheads bass fishing on power worms and crank baits and rattle traps in 2 lakes close to where i do some bass fishin and caught them in very shallow water.

i balloon or slip cork rig with live bait at night in shallow water for them and done well ,

i like to use 2 anchors and set the boat away from the bank about 30 yards and cast to it with balloon rigs then the other side of baot cast out to the deeper water to cover as much ground as i can .

also i try to fish fallen trees, rip rap banks and crappie beds in theese lakes . caught many channel cats doing this also .

a week ago me and my nephew went at night and done this caught 6 nice channels and a 5 lb bass all on ballon rigs with live blue gill . didnt get a flathead that night ,