Pointing Dogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by brad kilpatrick, Mar 5, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Anyone else own/train a pointing breed???

Here's a pic of My 6 year old Elhew Bred English Pointer, Shelby on Point opening weekend in Kansas

Attached Files:

2. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have some friends that breed short hairs and pointing labs.It`s always a real treat to see a well trained dog work and point birds.they have some pictures of a litter of short hairs on point at 8 weeks old.

That is a good looking pup ya got there.

here is their site if you want to see their dogs.

Rob

http://www.bright.net/~radarkennel/

3. redhawknc1

redhawknc1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Brad, that is a beautiful pointer! I hunt with a Llewellin Setter out of Kings Llewellins. Love to see a dog on point!

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brad growing up in Iowa around prime pheasant and some good quail hunting Ive owned a few but my brother tried about em all. His best dogs were german short hairs. We tried several english pointers but usally had a problem with them hunting too wide although they were great, fast hunters and solid pointers. Thru the years we duck hunted more and wanted a all around dog and settled on Labs. NO mine don't point, there flush dogs as labs should be.
    I'll see if I can find a pic. of ol Scout and post it.
    Nice pics. Brad thanks! The good ones are truly a mans best friend.....

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I hear You man these pointers can get leggy on ya if Your not careful. Shelby hunts at a good range, When she was Young she hunted with My buddys GSP Abby. So now She hunts closer like a GSP but with all the speed and drive of a pointer, 20-30 yards ahead is average. Rock solid points!!!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I enjoyed the experience of a quality pointer for a couple of weeks while hunting in Nebraska.

She just came to me one day out in a feild, While we were out there with our Springers.

It was obvious she had pups recently, but seemed abondoned. I kept her with me and notified the rangers at the Sacremento game refuge where we were staying about her.

She was one hunting fool. Picture perfect points. We went into a tree line where she pointed a covy of quail. It was near camp and I just wanted to see if she'd hunt, so I left my gun at the camper.

After I busted the covy, she took off through that tree line and pointed all the singles. I was too excited to shoot even if I had my gun. It was like something I'd always seen on TV during the hunting programs.

The next day with her and my gun, we took off through a picked corn field. She didn't seem to range much further than the Springers did, but a little further.

She did hunt fast though, and from what I saw, missed very little. I watched as she jumped over a corn row and spun in mid air. She landed on point about 20' in front of me, locked onto a cock pheasant. She brought me 4 pheasants that day.

That was in 72'. I left her there for someone else to enjoy. I couldn't take her back to Ohio. I always hoped her owner came back for her.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Got any pictures??? Setters are beautiful animals. I understand the Llewellins line in setters is like the Elhew line in pointers.....cream of the crop breeding. I would love to see a pic.

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  9. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I'm working on it.

Attached Files:

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    LABS LABS LABS - Get a LAB!!! :p Get a Lab and you'll never go back :grin-big: HAHA

Actually I used to run a GSP. Loved it but it just didn't make much since because most of my hunting was for ducks and geese. I'm a die hard Lab Guy now. I've got an aging master hunter laying at my feet and I'm praying for the time to start another pup.

/Scott

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Got a Lab pup Scott!!!! Darned thing EATS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!Its supposed to Be My wifes dog but guess who gets to feed,train and clean up after the God foresaken creature??????

All joking aside Labs are great dogs but I've only seen a few that are worth a darn in a bird field,(most seem to Be boot polishers if the birds were ten feet in front of me why would I need a dog??) Keep 'em in the duck blind where they belong........give Me a well bred pointer anyday!!!

The last lab that My pointer was in the field with got to take retreving lessons from My pointer............... go figure

12. ribsplitter

ribsplitter New Member

State:
    Kentucky, Rush
    I have one english pointer out of snakefoot and 4 setters one full lew and one half the other two are grouse ridge lines and have lew background in them about all we have to hunt here in eastern ky are these pesky ruffed grouse so thats about all they see all year long...

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    My Dog Shelby's Grand sire is Nat. Champion Elhew Snakefoot on the Dams side. We're Pretty luck here and have both pheasent and quail to chase around

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Brad,
    I have a chihuahau that looks like a mini dobie and I swear he has pointer in him. When he sees a squirrel or bird or cat, he will raise his right knee and point with it and his head. Crazy dog. I've had him twice. He's kinda like an orphan that just keeps coming home, but each time he does, he has new traits. LOL.

I know that's not what you meant but thought I would share my quirky little dog with y'all. The Poms are yappers and chasers. LOL

15. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Elhew/Bayou Teche 6yo. bitch and a 11yo dog GSP. I like and encourage the big run of the pointer, it's a lot easier to pull them in than it is to push them out. It's the dogs' job to cover unproductive real estate.

16. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I used to be heavily involved in training and hunting with pointing dogs. Used to spend most of the year training dogs, field trialing dogs, hunting with birds dogs/guiding pheasant hunters, judging AKC field trials and hunting tests. One of my dogs completed her AKC Master Hunter title.

I spend a lot more time fishing now.

17. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I also have a Elhew bred female. She's 2 and doing a good job. I have a older english setter that is one heck of a grouse dog. I just got a new setter puppy. Itll be a long winter!

18. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I own a German shorthair and a German wirehair. They are both great dogs I get compliments on them all the time. I do all my own training and find it to be rewarding to start out with some natural abilities and hone those to a bird finding machine. I would take a pointer over a Lab any day when hunting upland birds. But other than a wirehair I wouldn't set foot in a duck blind with a pointer. Even then they still are not as good as a lab when it comes to duck hunting Wirehairs are fair in the blind. My dogs will go get the ducks because they have to but labs do it because they love to. Because I do mostly upland hunting if I had to chose one dog it would be a wirehair.

19. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Proper training and realistic expectations are far more important than pointer vs. flusher.

20. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I don't buy that. You can take a pointer to an area with thinner cover and running birds and have them range out a liitle in front of the birds and pin them between you and have some great hunting. Put a lab on those birds and you won't find anything because they can't range out far enough. The birds will be in the next county by the time you and the lab are1/4 of the way through the field. Unless of course you have alot of buddys for blockers. The only time a lab is good for upland game is in thick cover and birds that are holding up. I have taken my dogs in areas that were just left by labs and made both hunter and dog jealous. It was not because my dogs are smarter or have a better nose. They are just bred to hunt upland birds. My dogs on the other hand don't stand a chance against a good lab in a duck blind. As far as realistic expectations that idea is thrown around at the club I hunt also. But it is usually by guys that don't want to put the time into training their dogs. They are capable of amazing things. If you have not ever done so go to a competition or field trial and you will see what I mean. Every dog has his day as every dog has his place I say! Of course I love to talk about these things and look forward to the replies. Thanks for getting it started!