Point Pleasant: Geography Lesson

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by brother hilljack, Jul 13, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I need help some help with fishing the Cabelas tournament so if anyone is willing to help a deployed soldier with no way to prefish:wink::big_smile:, here are some questions that I have:

Looking at google earth and moving southwest down the Ohio, there is a river that comes into the Ohio from the south. What river is this? What is the depth of this river and approx how wide is it?

How far from Point Pleasant is the dam to the southwest (on the river)? How deep is the water at the dam? Is it possible to catch skipjack at this dam, If so on which side? Also what is the name of this dam? Is there a boat ramp on the west side that can be used?

Where is the boat ramp located in Point Pleasant that they will be using for the tournament?

What is a good hotel, close to the ramp?

Is there any REAL GOOD resturants that I can take my wife out to dinner the night prior as it is her birthday??:big_smile::sad2:!!??

If you can give valid answers to these questions it would sure help my plannng process. If you don't want to post publically, PLEASE send me a PM with as much info as you can provide.

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the river coming at pt pleasant is the kanawha and the next dam is the rc bird far as depht i can help never fished there and the is a golden corral across the river in galipolis ive read on here they catch some good fish from the kanawha

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The Silver bridge that crossed the Ohio river collapsed there way back when,(lots of structure), should be good flathead fishing below the bridge that is there now. "lookout for the mothman" LOL

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've only been there twice, but it seems like it can produce some nice Flatheads!

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The silver bridge?? Where is that actually located. Are there any landmarks that give away its position. I'm sure it will be heavily fished.

Thanks everyone for the post, it will help a great deal.

6. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    the silver bridge was right in pt pleasent probaly 1/4 mile or so up stream for the 35 bridgei see alot of people fishing in the mouth of the kanawha awhile back i run thru there for about 3 weeks straight and there was always boats there

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack

Not sure of the exact location, It was the main route from Point Pleasant to Gallipolis. Should have no problem finding it on the fish finder

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You got some pretty good help there hope it works out well for you and THANKS FOR THE SERVICE!!!!

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    service is not a problem, but your support is appreciated. I have received a huge amount of support on fishing this area. This is exactly why the BOC is such a valuable tool and why it is so important for us to take care of each other. Thanks BOC

12. PhattyB

PhattyB New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The Kanawha river. Depth ~25 feet Width: ~300 yards

The Winfield Lock and Dam are about 30 miles upstream on the Kanawha. There are not really any sharp bends or anything, but there is some quality fishing to be had on the Kanawha.

RC Byrd aka Robert C Byrd aka Gallipolis Dam aka Roller Dam is 15 miles south of Point Pleasant. Depth below the dam is about 23 feet.

It is possible to catch skipjack but it might be a challenge sometimes as they move in a out but probably pretty typical skipjack behavior in general. Fishing is generally done from the Ohio side but the WV side is possible too (the locks are on the WV side)

Yes, there is a brand spankin' new boat launch on the ohio side several miles below the dam. It's really nice and while you can't see the boat ramp from the road, there is a large sign and the upkept grassy area is a change from the cornfields surrounding it.

I haven't really paid attention to the tournament details, but I'd assume it's probably going to be the ramp in downtown Point Pleasant. You can drive thru Point Pleasant in about two minutes, so I doubt you'll miss it. Plus, it's West "By God" Virginia.. just wave at one of us locals and ask.

As for nice resturant and sleep fair.. that's where my knowledge ends.. When I'm in that area, I eat fast food and drive home to sleep.

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    PhattyB,

Thanks for all this information. It is greatly appreciated. I am pretty excited about my stay there and looking forward to the tourny.

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have already received some pretty good info, I am just bumping this up to see what else the BOC Brothers/Sisters would like to share!:0a32:

15. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    you can go down 35 to pliney wv and get you a pliney burgur at the truckstop pretty good big ole hamburgur with a big slab of boloney on it:big_smile:

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Keith, I may have to check that out. Sounds kind of interesting. Is the bologna fried?