pocket pistol

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Jul 29, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey guys i currently own a glock 23 witch is a great gun and i carry it on a regular basis but i am looking for something really small to through in my pocket so what are you guys opinions on keltecs and other pocket pistol what is a good one at a good price

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I carry my RugerLCP in an Uncle Mikes wallet holster in my left front pocket. I had to cut the stitching on the holster to let the pistol go to the bottom, but it works fine. I wear my shirt tail out or carry my cell phone clipped on that pocket for a little extra concealment.

Jim

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I am very satisfied with my Beretta .32 cal Tomcat. It stays loaded with suped up hollow points. It is safe and it has the flip up barrel to easily load or unload a round in the chamber. It's also double action for the first shot.

It fits in a rear pocket or front pocket with room to spare.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What he said! The tomcat is exactly what I was gonna suggest for pocket carry. I've carried one alot like that and sometimes would forget it was there. Imagine the look on the clerks face when I layed it out on the counter with my change, LOL! With the right "souped up" hollow points, it actually rates better than a 380 hollow point in actual shootings. It don't make sense, but it's just a fact.

5. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i carry a XD-45 so im not really sure NC has a open carry law that i take full advange of i like a bigger gun if i have to use it im going to kill what ever it is not wound it

6. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    but if i conceal i like my rossi stub nose .38

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    So far I dont carry but I bought a Kel Tec P-11 for that purpose. It is allegedly the lightest, smallest 9mm pistol made today. I was convinced by me step daddy when he told me many military and LEO's carry them as a back up piece. There are some drawbacks though, it has a LONG pull and is double action only. The long pull is supposed to be its safety and it holds 10+1. The accuracy for me is about the same as my buddies Beretta 92S???, not sure on model but no know its a berettas and a 9mm. I paid $250 for mine out the door at a gun show NIB after some haggling. You will most likely need a finger extension for the mags though, I got em to throw it in free and I bought an extra factory mag for another $15. I also plan on buying a "belt clip" for it. So far Ive had none of the fail to fire/extract beginning problems some have reported before the gun is "broke in". This gun will literally fit in my pocket and I even forgot it was in there once. Keltec also offers some smaller pistols, I think, in 380 and 32. Do your research and handle a few guns before you buy.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I like the light weight snub nose capable of .38+P ammo. One without a hammer or a concealed hammer. I have a friend that has carried one in his back pocket so long that there is a dimple in butt cheek, according to the ER nurse that attended to his last case of road rash. LOL:embarassed::embarassed::eek:oooh::smile2:

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I sometimes carry my wife's S&W 38 SPL due it being so light and small. It's rated to fire +P+, but I have it loaded with Glasers. I like it better for carry than my Glock 26. But if you're looking for something cheap, this is not the gun.

10. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would have to say one of the air weight 38 specials with enclosed or shrouded hammer. For what I call no gun carry I would have to say the Kel Tec 3AT. So light & thin you forget it is there, almost like no gun there. I am not sure but I think I heard there is a recall going on concerning the Ruger LCP. Once again, not sure but those who have it may want to check on Ruger's web site.

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    [​IMG]
    In size, the PPS is meant to compare to the PPK/S. It does so, and wins. And it doesn't bite your hand.

This one is hard to beat

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Scott, find below a 'copy & paste' of a previous post I made. IMO, NAA makes top of the line genuine 'pocket pistols'.

http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

“The wife and I each carry one of these (the short .22 LR version). Lots of undercover law enforcement folks carry these for backups. Several years back these lil gems came out on top in a popular survey as the most effective handgun to carry for self protection. The reason is that because of it's size you're much more apt to have it on your person if the occasion ever arises that you need a gun NOW (sure, the .357 mag is much to be preferred, but it doesn't do you much good if it's back at the truck under the seat). I carry mine everywhere at all times.”
    [/SIZE]

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hard to beat a S&W Airweight version of the 640. Hammerless, light, and greatly effective.
    BB in SC

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have a Tarus .25 caliber auto. Looks like a billfold in your rear pocket.

16. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think I've owned almost all of the above. My current P3AT replaced my P11. I loved my old Tomcat. I like the full double action of P3AT with no safety sticking out.

Vince point me to the ballistics on .32 vs .380 I'd like to read. I'm shooting Remington Golden Saber 102 grain HPJ

17. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got a North American Arms 22 fits in my front pocket. It's good and accurate @ 8- 10 ft. lol

18. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I heven't found the link yet. I read it a few years ago in some results of actual street shootings. I believe it was Evan Marshal that did the study. I'm sure there's been some new ammo since the study was done that might make particular calibers more effective now.

If I remember correctly, it was the 32acp silvertip that edged out the 380 hydra shok in actual performance. I had a copy of the study, but have moved since and haven't been able to find were I put it so it wouldn't get lost, lol.

I still have the opinion that no matter what you hit them with, as long as you hit them were it counts and stay on the move, then it's better than not hitting them with anything because it was too cumbersome to have what you've got at home on you at the time you needed it.

19. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I bought a Kel Tec P-3AT (.380) last month and l have a love-hate relationship with the little gun!

I love the very small size of the gun and how easy it is to conceal either with or without the use of a holster.

It is very lightweight and I hardly know it is in my pocket.

What I don't like about the gun is discovering AFTER I bought it the following:

Kel Tec's owner's manual for the P-3AT states "a break-in period may be required (50-100 rounds) During this break-in period, some falure to feed and failure to eject or extract malunctions may occur".

Owner's of P-3AT pistols, have posted many messages on the Kel Tec Owners web site, recommend that at least 200 rounds should be fired, without a malunction, before the P-3AT can be consider safe to carry for self protection.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=104

So, anyone considering buying a P-3AT should add on the additional cost of 200 rounds ($60.00-$75.00) to the purchase price of the gun!

The P-3AT's slide does not lock open when the last round in the clip is fired. So, unless a person is good at counting the number of rounds fired, the gun can easly be dry fired. However, dry-firing the gun only a few times will damage the firing pin screw.

There is also no manual lock so that the slide can be locked open for cleaning the bore.

The Ruger LCP is almost a direct copy of the Kel Tec P-3AT. However, the Riger LCP owner's manual doesn't state that the LCP should be broke-in by firing a certain number of rounds.

It is possible that the Ruger LCP is less prone to malfunctions than the P-3AT, but, I wouldn't know since I haven't fired a LCP. If I didn't own a P-3AT I would certainly take a close look at the Ruger LCP.

Like I said above, I love my P-3AT....but, I sure wish it had a slide lock, and that it had been safe to use out of the box!

Attached Files:

20. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll go along with all the negatives. But I personally wouldn't carry any gun that I hadn't fired a couple of hundred rounds through first anyway. But you'd think it would not be required by the manuf.

I got lucky with no hang ups or stove pipes at all firing three different rounds through mine but I have heard about the break in time. The last round lock doesn't matter to me but I can see how it could. I'm old school and always load one less in the mag to keep mag spring pressure reduced. Old habit probably doesn't matter. That way I have 6 rounds total. I practice 3 double taps from the pocket and the mag is clear.

The Ruger looks like a very nice piece to consider.